VMware Cloud Community
artist-06
Contributor
Contributor

vcp-310 exam retake

Hi

I have recently taken vcp-310 exam and failed with %63. I did panic a bit and should have passed the exam, did stupid mistakes. Anyway I will retake the exam in 2 weeks time. I wonder the type of questions in my 2nd attempt. Does any one experience same questions or very similar ones?

For ex in VM eval test 5 questions, 2 of them appeared in my real exam. Initial scan of LUNs and max vmfs-3 volume size. It sounds like some questions are classic and everyone come across in the exam.

I did not use ESX before, attempted the course, setup an esx environment at work, took my exam afterwards all in 2 weeks. Maybe I was impatient! Some questions needed so much detailed knowledge which was mandotary for this exam. Why should I memorize all port numbers? Why do I need to know SSE3, default permissions etc? Could not I look to the manual when I needed or use the CPU compatibility tool?

I know there should not be any excuse. I am memorising everything now in the manuals.

Please advise me if you the questions are similar or not in the second attempt.

Thanks

0 Kudos
31 Replies
pillayn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I just need clarification on 2 points

Number of vswitches ( 127 or 248)

Max number of volumes vmfs ( 128 or 256)

Very varying points.

One manual tell you one thing & another tells you differently

0 Kudos
artist-06
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Max Number of vswtches = 127 (According to latest configuration maximums document 3rd of July 2007)

Max Number of Volumes (LUNS) = 256

Max Number of Volumes(LUNS) during initial install = 128.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Burak

0 Kudos
cperdereau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

about the virtual switch maximum. Read this post

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=91966&tstart=0

0 Kudos
Chandra1976
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Artist ca u pls tell me how many question got repeated for the second time

I give the exam and scored 69 for the passing score of 70

i came to know from the forms that u have appread for the second time and passed it

0 Kudos
Chandra1976
Contributor
Contributor

i came to know from the forms that u have appread for the second time and passed it Edit

0 Kudos
Chandra1976
Contributor
Contributor

i came to know from the forms that u have appread for the second time and passed it Edit

0 Kudos
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey guys,

Here is my experience.

I failed VCP-310 my first try with score 67. After that I spent some time for studing and passed it with score 94.

I would be very surprise if someone could not pass it on second time.

As soon as I got out from the test lab with my fail result I wrote down all questions/subjects that I was not sure how to answer, so I come up with some subjects that I needed to study more.

I think that they do not change questions based on your previous score. But please do not be so naive and do not assume that there are only 75 questions;-)... I would study based on subjects, but not trying to memorize all questions.

There already a lot of suggestions how better prepare to VCP, so I would not duplicate it, however if you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them (as long as they would not violate VMware rules).

Best regards and good luck,

olegarr

0 Kudos
Chandra1976
Contributor
Contributor

Today i compleated my exam with 94%

Thanks ever one

0 Kudos
javasoup168
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, I failed mine too with 69%. It was agonizing, but at the end I knew where went wrong.

May I ask everyone if I really need to wait for 7 working days later to re-take for the second time?

Can I take it tomorrow and will VMware penalize me for the second attemp that is within 7 days?

Thanks!

Regards.

0 Kudos
kevnad1966
Contributor
Contributor

It does sound like you jumped the gun a bit; however, before considering retaking the exam, the most important question is did you attend the (Authorized) VMWare VI3 Install/Config class? If you did NOT attend this class, it won't matter how many times you retake or your passing score. Attending this class is mandatory to receiving the VCP certification. The instructor in the class I attended also urged us NOT to take the test until we had some "live" experience administering the VI3 environment, and that will definately help you, as it did for me; I've been admin'g our VI3 environment for about a year and a half and it made the studying more comfortable and easy to understand.

Another thing to think about is Vsphere4 coming down the pipe (Actually, already here).................along with new mandatory classes and a new test

Kevin

0 Kudos
kevnad1966
Contributor
Contributor

Mike, I completely agree with your suggestion; even with the mandatory Install/Config class for VCP, it appears there are still some "achievement hunters" out there, as I've seen by the discussions of failing the tests and asking questions that shouldn't need to be if they had VI3 environments and the corresponding VMWare login accounts. I just attended the Install/Config earlier this year and really want to do the DSA as well; think it will help with our own VI3 environment, and it would give some distinction with a + on the VCP certification.

Kevin

0 Kudos
hasenfang
Contributor
Contributor

I took the exam today and failed. It is very upsetting, I did take the course and I felt pretty good going into the exam. I had been taking the practice tests on VMware.com and getting at least a 85% at worst. I also purchased an exam cram book and was scoring in the high 90s on those practice tests. I reviewed the materials and I some how came up short. I also felt like I had not seen and had not covered a huge chunk of what my test was on. So, I will go back to the drawing board I guess and try to cover the items that I missed. Now that I have failed I have found a lot of great resources on this forum, but does VMware have official (other than the online test) exam practice test. I feel that those questions on vmware.com are not reflective of the exam that I took taday. I feel like I know that material fairly well and I have had some hands on with the product, any suggestions? I would like to walk in and rock this thing, and that did not happen. I saw that Global knowledge (in the UK) offered a day course to hone your skills could not find anything like that for the US, anyone know of anything like that?

0 Kudos