VMware Cloud Community
acnsys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vcenter upgrade with 2 databases

Hi evryone,

I have been assigned the task to upgrade a VC from to 2.5 to 2.5U2.

I am actually logged to the Virtual Center having a look to the system DSN and what is confusing me is that there are two DSNs which point to the same db server but to two different dbs. One is called VC2 and the other VC2.5Updates.

From what i understand the admin has created a second DSN when upgrading VC from 2.1 to 2.5. Maybe thats a good thing, TBH i have absolutely no idea because the only time i did upgrade VC from 2.1 to 2.5 i just reinstalled VC from scratch.

So now i would like to double-check with you if this is ok and which DSN i should give to the VC upgrade installer.

I attach a screenshot of the tables in the db called 2.5 updates because it looks like it only contain the new table, so i guess the two dbs are used thats why i am confused.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VCI corresponds to Update Manager. VPX corresponds to Virtualcenter. More than likely they created a seperate database for each. During the Virtualcenter upgrade you should only specify your Virtualcenter DSN (the one that points to the database with VPX entries).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VCI corresponds to Update Manager. VPX corresponds to Virtualcenter. More than likely they created a seperate database for each. During the Virtualcenter upgrade you should only specify your Virtualcenter DSN (the one that points to the database with VPX entries).

0 Kudos
acnsys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did the upgarde everything went fine. except now i have launched the VI client 80% of my hosts are showing a red exclamation mark, stating HA has an error. I have tried to reconfigure for HA and also did reboot the host without any luck.

0 Kudos