VMware Cloud Community
jconry
Contributor
Contributor

vcbMounter Error: Failed to Reconfigure Proxy.

Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of setting up VCB in hot-add mode for an environment I've setup. I've got my hands on David Convery's "Setting Up VMware Consolidated Backup" guide which is proving very helpful, however I'm getting an error which has got me scratching my head.

When running the command: "vcbMounter.exe -h hostname -u username -p password -a name:vmguest -r D:\mnt\vmguest -t fullvm -m hotadd "

I get: "Error: Failed to reconfigure proxy: No permission to perform this action."

The script creates the snapshot and begins to mount the files to the directory, but it's getting caught on this reconfigure proxy bit.

The vcb service account I've configured has the VCB Backup User Role including Datastore>Browse Datastore, Virtual Machine>Configuration>Add Existing Disk, Virtual Machine>Configuration>Remove Disk and Virtual Machine>Configuration>Change Resource and has been applied at the Virtual Machines & Templates level.

Am I missing some permissions here?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert

Please try with adding the following privileges since you need to take the snapshot:

Virutal Machine --> State --> Create Snapshot and Remove Snapshot

Shan

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert

Also, refer the VMWare Backup Guide , Page No 46 and 47 for VCB user/proxy role privileges

Shan

0 Kudos
jconry
Contributor
Contributor

The VCB User role has those privileges configured by default which I've added my backup service account to.

I've also created the VCB Proxy role and associated it with the VCB proxy & helper VM's as per the Virtual machine Backup Guide pg 46-47, but still getting the same error.

0 Kudos
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert

Good, Did you add the user in the Hosts&Cluster level? Also, Select "Propagate to Child Objects"

Shan

jconry
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, check to both of those. Still no good.

It does seem like there's some permissions I've left out.

0 Kudos
jconry
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, to save myself some time, I just applied all the Virtual Machine privileges to my Backup Proxy role, which is associated with my backup proxy and helper vm's. I'll go back and try and pinpoint exactly which privilege it is when I have some spare time.

0 Kudos