VMware Cloud Community
ForgeFlakshack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vcbMounter Broken Pipe Error on the same VM

I have a script that uses vcbMounter to make online daily backups of our VMs (we have 33 VMs spread across 3 ESX 3.01 servers). For some reason, once or twice a week, one specific VM will fail the backup process. The error message that I see in the logs is:

/usr/sbin/vcbMounter: line 1: 622 Broken pipe[/b]

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:/usr/lib/vmware/hostd /usr/lib/vmware/vcb/vcbMounter -h "$VCHOST" -u "$USERNAME" -p "$PASSWORD" -c "$VMNAMECACHE" -r "$workdir" -a "moref:1184" --

The specific VM that has the problem is our Citrix license server VM (no users connect to it, it just handles the licensing and other enterprise features) and runs on Windows Server 2003. The server was built using the same sysprep'd template as all my other servers.

I have tried using vmotion to migrate the guest to another server, and I see the same problem no matter which ESX server the guest is on. At first I was concerned that it was a performance issue, but again it only seems to happen to this one vm.

As part of the script, a snapshot is taken of the guest before the vcbMounter command is used. There are no other snapshots on the guest.

Anyone have any suggestions for things I should look at? or debugging tips for vcbMounter?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tom68
Contributor
Contributor

We got exactly the same problem. We have 6 VMs on one ESX 3.01 server. The VM having the problem is a Windows 2003 R2 server in the role of a MOSS front end server.

No idea what causes the problem.

Message was edited by:

tom68

0 Kudos
BlackCat-nIT
Contributor
Contributor

We've got exactly the same problem, too. On this maschine runs Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

Has nobody else a solution?

0 Kudos
ForgeFlakshack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wanted to add that we don't have this problem anymore after upgrading to ESX 3.0.2. So I guess they fixed whatever was causing the problem.

0 Kudos