VMware Cloud Community
brownr26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSwitch question

I added a new NIC to my ESX 3.5 server today. I went into the VI client and the new NIC was there. I added it to the vSwitch. I haven't physically attached a cable to it yet. My question is, can I remove the network cable from the current NIC and attach the cable to the new NIC without any other configuration changes? If I can still connect to the ESX server from the VI client after I've moved the cable my intention is to remove the old NIC from the vSwitch and then from the physical box altogether. Is this line of thinking correct? Please keep in mind I have not done NO IP configuration to the new NIC.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The IP is not applied to the NIC itself. The IPs are applied to the service console interfaces, vmkernel interfaces (including VMotion) and the VMs themselves.

The NICs are simple there really to provide a connection from the virtual network to the physical network.

So basically as you have done:

Add the second NIC in as an active adaptor.

Swap the physcial cable round.

Test.

Make the old NIC a standby adaptor.

Remove the old physcial NIC.

Why are you removing it though and staying with one NIC? Id have at least two to allow for redundancy and network seperation.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is there any way for you to connect the NIC to network and leave both of them up for a little while then remove the NIC from the vswitch then unplug it. Is this new NIC replacing a SC connection?

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
brownr26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can definitely plug them both in. Yes, this is the service center connection. Prior to the installation of the new NIC, there was only one NIC in the physical box. When this is done, I still want only one NIC.

0 Kudos
apatel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi brownr26, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing what you describe. You can even quickly unplug NIC A (the existing one that you intend to remove) and plug the same cord into NIC B (the new one), provided that they are definitely part of the same vSwitch, and both are listed as "Active" adapters in the teaming settings. You would have a short loss of connectivity while you did this, of course, but that shouldn't be a problem if that vSwitch does not have any port groups other than a Service Console used for management (i.e. no Virtual Machine Port Groups, or no VMkernels being actively used for IP storage).

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful!

-Amit

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful! -Amit
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The IP is not applied to the NIC itself. The IPs are applied to the service console interfaces, vmkernel interfaces (including VMotion) and the VMs themselves.

The NICs are simple there really to provide a connection from the virtual network to the physical network.

So basically as you have done:

Add the second NIC in as an active adaptor.

Swap the physcial cable round.

Test.

Make the old NIC a standby adaptor.

Remove the old physcial NIC.

Why are you removing it though and staying with one NIC? Id have at least two to allow for redundancy and network seperation.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When dealing with SC connections, I'm more on the safe side. Yes you could unplug one and move the cable fast but there is a brief time period where you don't have an active SC. If it was me doing this, I would install the NIC, have both nics live for a short amount of time, remove the old NIC from the vSwitch and then remove it from the server.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "