VMware Cloud Community
CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRanger Question

Hi Guys,

I am asking this question about vRanger here since vizioncore doesnt seem to have their own forum and I know there are many customers here running it in their environment. I am trialing the software right now so am a little new to it, but is there not a percentage completion monitor? No where do I see a progress monitor that states how far along the backup process is or an estimated completion time. Am I missing this or does it just not exist?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am asking this question about vRanger here since vizioncore doesnt seem to have their own forum and I know there are many customers here running it in their environment.

Vizioncore does have a forum for vRanger -->

I am trialing the software right now so am a little new to it, but is there not a percentage completion monitor? No where do I see a progress monitor that states how far along the backup process is or an estimated completion time. Am I missing this or does it just not exist?

In the current version, not exactly. For processes kicked off via the windows scheduler there isn't. If executed manually via LAN-based there's a dos-based counter that displays the amount of data backed up. With LAN-free executed manually there's a dos-based percentage counter for each backup.

I got a birdseye view of version 4 and the GUI has been revamped with a built-in scheduler and other bells and whistles. It at least looks better than the current version...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No where do I see a progress monitor that states how far along the backup process is or an estimated completion time. Am I missing this or does it just not exist?

correct. no progress. Maybe the next version. It's a set and forget anyway, you don't sit there and monitor ANY backup solution. The either fail or they are a success, it doesn't matter how long it took. I don't believe ANY backup program has a progress bar, there is no way to accurately predict how long it will take. A progress bar is just a "guess" if there is one.

Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am asking this question about vRanger here since vizioncore doesnt seem to have their own forum and I know there are many customers here running it in their environment.

Vizioncore does have a forum for vRanger -->

I am trialing the software right now so am a little new to it, but is there not a percentage completion monitor? No where do I see a progress monitor that states how far along the backup process is or an estimated completion time. Am I missing this or does it just not exist?

In the current version, not exactly. For processes kicked off via the windows scheduler there isn't. If executed manually via LAN-based there's a dos-based counter that displays the amount of data backed up. With LAN-free executed manually there's a dos-based percentage counter for each backup.

I got a birdseye view of version 4 and the GUI has been revamped with a built-in scheduler and other bells and whistles. It at least looks better than the current version...

0 Kudos
CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks guys. I did see the dos windows when I started the process manually.

And RParker, although some may not feel it necessary it is still a nice to have feature to monitor and guage performance.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> And RParker, although some may not feel it necessary it is still a nice to have feature to monitor and guage performance.

That's what test runs are for. . . . Once you get it the way you want, you should know how long an average file will take. But there is still no guarantee that's my point. If you see the meter is at 50%, now what? If it takes 30 minutes, are there really 15 minutes left? Or maybe it could be another 30 minutes, maybe it's only 5 minutes. The meter is it overall progress of ALL files by count or by size? Is it a percentage based on time that it takes to backup a series of small files?

All of this information is STILL a guess. You can't get an accurate depiction of how long it's really going to take. You can sit and watch a progress meter at 90%, and it could hang there for a long time. The point is you don't really monitor the backups, you start them at whatever time you schedule, and get a report when its done. So that's all I was saying, the progress meter is tool for your test purposes initially, but this is not a useful function as you backup more and more. You do some test runs and that's how you get your information, not by watching some meter.

0 Kudos