VMware Cloud Community
steveprentice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vMotion problem with Windows 2008

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone's come accross this...

I have a Windows Server 2008 Core VM running, recently been converted into ESX3.5 from a previous VMWare Server life, the Tools etc have been installed to the latest version, and everything seems to be running fine on it.

However, when I try to migrate the server off it's host and onto a new one I get the following message:

"Migration from host1 to host2: Virtual ethernet card 'Network Adapter 1' is of type which is not supported. This is not a limitation of the host in general, but of the virtual machine's configured guest OS on this host."

I can't seem to work out how to fix it... I tried installing the Tools again in the VM just incase the NICs were out of date or something, but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Steve

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WillemB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe your Windows 2008 VM has an old network adapter. Previously there was an old network driver emulated by vmware which could be switched once VMWare tools were installed on the host. In ESX 3.5 there is a dynamic nic.

Look in the configuration of your VM. It might be required that you remove and recreate a 3.5 supported NIC.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WillemB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe your Windows 2008 VM has an old network adapter. Previously there was an old network driver emulated by vmware which could be switched once VMWare tools were installed on the host. In ESX 3.5 there is a dynamic nic.

Look in the configuration of your VM. It might be required that you remove and recreate a 3.5 supported NIC.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

First open up a command prompt, then type in:

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

START DEVMGMT.MSC

The device manager starts now. If the hidden network card isnt visible select "View->Show hidden devices"

from the upper menubar.

regads

Joerg

WillemB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The comment by altrix is to look into the windows side of network drivers. Sometimes old drivers/devices get lost and the trick can make them visible again. I myself usually regedit it back to normal again 😄

0 Kudos
steveprentice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses... you were correct. Although I had upgraded the VMWare Tools it hadn't replaced the NIC drivers. After powering the machine off, removing the NICs, powering back on, and then powering off again and re-adding new ones... all seems well after turning it back on again. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Steve

0 Kudos