VMware Cloud Community
slickshoes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter seeing a VM's datastores incorrectly

I have a VM that is a Windows file server. It has disks on 2 LUN's (system and FTPSHare). I use Vizioncore vReplicator for offsite replication and it had problems because the 2 VMDKs have the same name. So last night I shutdown the VM and renamed one of the VMDK's following this document

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=5096672

Now in VirtualCenter, it only sees the datastore of the disk I renamed (System). Maps also only shows the VM as having that one datastore. The VM is running fine and Windows see's the disk on the other LUN, but i'm wondering if anyone knows something to try? I rebooted vCenter with no luck.

See attached shots

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From the images, it looks as though both VMDK files are on the same volume. Can you browse the system volume and verify?

They have different files names so this is possible.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
slickshoes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes it thinks there are 2 VMDK's on the System LUN.

It see's Disk 1 as System\NeoFS1\NeoFS1-000001.vmdk as the 1Tb disk. According to the datastore browser this file is 34MB

It see's Disk 2 as System\NeoFS1\NeoFS1C-000001.vmdk as a 30GB disk. According to the datastore browser this is 17MB

The 1TB disk is actually on a LUN called FTPShare

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Here is my theory. It looks like each vmdk has a snapshot on it. Those snapshots are stored on system. I'll bet the parent file for the NeoFS1 snapshot is stored on FTPShare. This is a strange scenario. Virtual Center is showing you the location of the disk that is set in the vmx file. IE the snapshot file. The snapshot file is referencing a vmdk file on another datastore.

Can you remove the snapshots? At that point, I would think the virtual center would showboth Datastores for the VM.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
slickshoes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm going to clone it overnight then delete the snapshots. Everytime vReplicator makes a new snapshot the VM thinks the new snapshot is its disks. Makes me a little nervous. Hopefully removing the snapshots clears this up, but can't hurt to have a backup of my file server

WIll follow up

0 Kudos
slickshoes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Must be some sort of bug. As soon as the snapshots are deleted, VirtualCenter sees everything correctly. As soon as 1 snapshot is taken though it goes back to how it was. Oh well, it is working so I guess I'll survive :smileysilly:

Thanks

0 Kudos