VMware Cloud Community
Dogiefresh
Contributor
Contributor

usb controllers on esx servers...

hi. i have a question.. i install vi infrastructure with esx server 3.0.2

i migrate a server with converter, to one esx server of my cluster.

this server have installed windows 2003 sp1 and have one application that need a usb and serials ports for recollect data for hand punch work.

but when i start my vm to first time i vew the settings and say that the usb controllers are not supported...

?? is a known issue? or what i can to do for this...

regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It's more a known limitation. There are numerous products available that will allow you to access USB (or serial) devices over IP. This thread mentions a few of them.

http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=712797

0 Kudos
a_f_rahim
Contributor
Contributor

also you can use RDP ... go to accessories>communications>remote desktop connection ...

type in the ip of the vm you want to connect to ... type in administrator password and make sure the 'hard disk' option under the local resources tab is ticked ...

once connected ... go to my computer (in the console) and u'll be able to see all your hard drives/usb/cd-rom as shared network drives ...

do reply back if this solves your problem ...

one more thing ... you have to enable remote connection first ... you can do that by right clicking my computer (both physical host and vm) then remote tab and tick both the given options ...

hopefully that should solve your problem Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Dogiefresh
Contributor
Contributor

Ok ... i buy a usb anywhere an resolve my issue.. it´s easy configuration and the esx work ok.. and my application of hands punch is ok..

thank`s

0 Kudos