VMware Cloud Community
timjwatts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

(urgent) Does esxcfg-vswitch take immediate effect?

Hi,

As per subject really... I can see that it has rewritten the config file, but does the command affect teh running system immediately?

Reason: Have 6 uplinks, 4 at gig and 2 at 100Mbits. Guess which uplinks my predecessor used for the core main vSwitch that all the VMs talk to each other on. Yep, you guessed it - the 100meg ports!

So I've deconfigured 2 gig links per host and am waiting for the network guys to reconfigure the CISCO they plug in to.

Then I will add those gig links to the vSwitch that matters and remove the 100meg links.

I just wanted to check there were no gotcha's (like having to reboot ESX to take effect!!!).

If anyone can just confirm this, I will be able to sleep tonight Smiley Happy

TIA

Cheers

Tim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - esxcfg-vswtch chnages are immediate - tere might be a droppped packet depending on when the change is made but nothing that should affect network communications - there is no need for a reboot -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
timjwatts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hiya,

Brilliant - thanks for confirming that Smiley Happy

I kind of guessed it would (esxcfg-nics changes the connection speed/duplexmode on the spot) - but years of bitter fubars have told me not to assume anything Smiley Happy

Cheers!

Tim

0 Kudos
timjwatts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Just to add, it worked like a dream.

I performed the operation over a serial link to the console for safety, but things are definately improved now...

Cheers and thanks for the help Smiley Happy

Tim

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

glad to hear it-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos