VMware Cloud Community
mrose1120istar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

update manager + running automatically?

i've tried to researhc this and maybe i've missed something, but can I get VMWare Update Manager to run automatically every month or so on my hosts? Thanks! I have it working manually, but obviously it'd be simpler for it to apply critical updates on its own at a regular basis.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dynamax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if this was possible it wouldnt be recommended, critical patches usually require a reboot. If you have some sort of script to take these hosts down and for some reason they dont come back up over something minor. Other things could be the patch stops functionality on a host so rather than have one host down you wouldve applied to all hosts and now they all have an issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know of a way to do this. My thoughts are I wouldn't use the feature anyway. When patching your are taking down hosts, so I would like to have control of it. It's a manual process to scan for udpates and to activate the remediation, but from there the rest is automated.

hope this helps.

Dynamax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if this was possible it wouldnt be recommended, critical patches usually require a reboot. If you have some sort of script to take these hosts down and for some reason they dont come back up over something minor. Other things could be the patch stops functionality on a host so rather than have one host down you wouldve applied to all hosts and now they all have an issue.

0 Kudos
mrose1120istar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

good point, this makes sense, i'll just put an outlook reminder in to do it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Moved to VMware ESX 3.5 forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos