VMware Cloud Community
that_other_guy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

unable to access esx server

Help!

i wanted specific vms to use only a specific nic for network traffic. (my physical machine has two nics). i went into the "configure" tab then "network" and check the box to assign that nic. it was the only one showing as unassigned. I clicked ok and then finish on the next screen. i then lost all connection to the esx server. I am unable to console in with Vi and i am unable to ping any of my VM's. what did i do wrong and how can i fix it. i have access to the console on the machine itself but i have no idea where to begin.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jdvcp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sounds like you added a second NIC to your service console network. If this was the case, the service console may be using the new NIC now. If the attached switch port for this new NIC is not setup correctly (trunking, native VLAN, network range, etc), you may have orphaned the service console. You can try removing one NIC, then the other until you can get back into the service console.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jdvcp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sounds like you added a second NIC to your service console network. If this was the case, the service console may be using the new NIC now. If the attached switch port for this new NIC is not setup correctly (trunking, native VLAN, network range, etc), you may have orphaned the service console. You can try removing one NIC, then the other until you can get back into the service console.

0 Kudos
that_other_guy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey that did it. Thanks for the quick reply

0 Kudos