VMware Cloud Community
Oli_L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

swap sapce

Hi,

I attended a VM course and was advised to make sure the swap space was double the amount of memory in the ESX server. ie 10 gigs of memory meant a swap file of 20 gigs.

The instructor explained why this was required but I've only remembered half of it! He said that if the 10 gigs of physical memory fills up it would use the swap file, which would equal 10gig of space, but I cannot remember why you needed an additional 10gig file space in the swap file?

Can anyone tell me?

TIA

Oli

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This has changed in ESX3.

For ESX 2.5.x the recommendation was to have a swap file which matched the size of the memory (at least that's what I learnt).

In ESX3 you have a virtual swap file for each machine now, no longer do you require the large single file.

There is a linux swap file which the service console uses, but that's different and usually about 1.6GB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This has changed in ESX3.

For ESX 2.5.x the recommendation was to have a swap file which matched the size of the memory (at least that's what I learnt).

In ESX3 you have a virtual swap file for each machine now, no longer do you require the large single file.

There is a linux swap file which the service console uses, but that's different and usually about 1.6GB

0 Kudos
Oli_L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks.. that's cleared that up!

0 Kudos