VMware Cloud Community
waynea
Contributor
Contributor

storage vmotion problem

I'm having an issue with storage vmotion.

I tried to migrate the storage to a new VMFS volume but it has failed. When I right click on the VM, there is a "Complete Migration....." option. When I select this, I receive an error that says "A file was not found <path to .vmdk> file. However, this file does exist.

All other operations such as power off, power on, etc... are greyed out.

The VM is currently OFF.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way to kill the migration from the service console? No matter how many times I select "Complete Migration", I still get the same error and the other operations do not appear.

Storage vmotion has been working very well for us; with the exception of this one case.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The vmdk might exist but access to this configuration (*.vmx) file may have security issues. I would verify that configuration exists where the console VM points to. Or it could be a security problem.

If the VM is off, try recreating the VM as new, and point to existing virtual hard drive.

0 Kudos
waynea
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Turns out the system is no longer needed so I don't have to worry about losing the system.

I tried re-adding it to the inventory as well as just deleting it. Both failed.

I've deleted the underlying data files but it's still showing up in Virtual Center. I'm guessing it'll just go away when the next time the VC server is rebooted. I don't see any processes tied to this system on the ESX host.

0 Kudos