VMware Cloud Community
dethounet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

starting with vcb

hello,

i'm starting with this software and i want to have your opinion to see if i have understand this product.

I have installed vcb on my backup server (backup exec 11)

If i want to save file i have to use the browse-start cmd and mount the vms that i want.

and for saving the entire vm i have to use the pre-backup cmd and launch it before i do the backup

is it correct ?

otherwise I don't understand the purpose of the post-backup cmd

thanks for reply

ps: sorry for my english

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks - if my advice was helpful, please let me know by marking my answer as correct/helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As far as I can understand, the browse-start utility is meant for use with a GUI, whereas the pre-command and post-command utilities are meant to be used with, say, a scheduled backup task that doesn't make use of a GUI.

I use the pre-command utility to mount the VM disks I want to backup and then use the post-command utility to get rid of them once the backup has finished.

Does that help at all?

dethounet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, it 's near that i have understand, juste one interogation

the pre-command seems to copy the vm to my backup proxy, the post command delete it ?

thanks !

0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yup, the pre-command will arrange for a snapshot of the VM disks to be presented to your VCB proxy, allowing them to be backed-up.

The post-command will then delete them from the VCB proxy.

Hope that helps.

dethounet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok thanks for help !

0 Kudos
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks - if my advice was helpful, please let me know by marking my answer as correct/helpful.

0 Kudos