Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ssh protocol version

in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

'Protocol 2' is good

'Protocol 2,1' is bad

But what the heck does '#Protocol 2,1' mean? If you comment out the line saying which versions are allowed, does that allow ANY version, or theoretically NO version?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i think its saying that you can use either verstion 1 or 2. you would want to use 2 only

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i think its saying that you can use either verstion 1 or 2. you would want to use 2 only

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Protocol 2,1 will not work...These are two different protocols defined. Protocol 1 has died in 2003 itself, by default in ESX it will be set to 2.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Protocol 2,1 does indeed work, and lets you use either. But so does the same line commented out. That's kind of weird. I tested by setting putty to use only version 1 and it connected to one of these hosts but gave me an error on one configured for version 2 only.

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
MentholMoose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you comment out a keyword in sshd_config the default is used, which is "Protocol 2,1". Version 1 is not desired so VMware added "Protocol 2" to only allow version 2.

Check the sshd_config man page.

Protocol

Specifies the protocol versions sshd(8) supports. The possible values are ‘1’ and ‘2’.

Multiple versions must be comma-separated. The default is “2,1”. Note that the order of

the protocol list does not indicate preference, because the client selects among multiple

protocol versions offered by the server. Specifying “2,1” is identical to “1,2”.

----- {color:#555555}Kirk Kosinski{color} [!http://www.kirkkosinski.com/li.png!|http://www.linkedin.com/in/kirkkosinski] {color:#999999}MCITP: EA / VA / EDA7, VCP 4{color}