VMware Cloud Community
CB1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sharing raw disk

Is there a way to present a raw disk and have 2 Virtual Machines see the disk and share the data on the disk? I have present the raw disk to the vm's as a physical disk and the vm's see it but it appears that they are not able to see the data stored from each server. It appears that the raw disk is a separate disk on each vm.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sketchy00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have the disk connected locally on one VM, then create a share if it's a Windows VM, or created an export and mount it up if it's a Linux VM.

VMFS is your only clustered file system, but not really applicable to what I think you are attempting to accomplish. You might want to elaborate on what it is you are trying to do...

0 Kudos
CB1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was hoping to have the disk presented to both VM's as a shared disk and have these VM's see all the data on that disk. I think, I will have to go with the share folder route.

0 Kudos
sketchy00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yep, you're asking for true clustering of that native LUN. Don't think the solution is a compromise in any way. You can achieve what you want to achieve, and it will still be very modular and flexible.