VMware Cloud Community
kpawelk
Contributor
Contributor

share vmfs on two HA servers(ESX)

Hi All,

nearly done, but I am a little cofuse. I have two ESX servers working as a HA, I have connected this two ny Fiber Chanel to LUN. On tne first node I have created storage vmfs based on LUN0, but my confuse came when I am trying add the same LUN0 on secend node, there is warning:

Warning: This configuration will destroy the current disk layaut. All file system and date will be lost permanently.

When I created vmfs on my first node why VI would like create vmfs again, why just cannot add this storage system to second node. It means if I have some virtual machines on this storage they going to be lost.

Maby I am wrong, why is like that?

Regards,

PAwel

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Frank_Poelert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pawel,

After you created the VMFs on Host 1, you just have to rescan the storage adapters on Host 2. Select the option to scan for new VMFS (second checkmark) and deselect the other option because the LUN was already known on host 2.

Regards,

Frank

0 Kudos
kpawelk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Frank,

Can you tell me where is that option, because I cannot find it. I have VI 2.5 and I have no such a option in Configuration->Storage.

Thank you

PAwel

0 Kudos
Frank_Poelert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pawel,

It's in Configuration - Storage Adapters, top right of the screen.

Regards,

Frank

0 Kudos
kpawelk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Frank,

I did it but still when I want add storage to host 2 VI give me a worning that all data will be lost. Maby should i set up some option on LVM?

Thanks,

Pawel

0 Kudos
Frank_Poelert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pawel,

If you scanned for new VMFS's on host 2 there is no need to add storage, it will be there after the scanning. Refresh the Configuration - Storage view to make sure.

If the new VMFS is not visible, try a rescan with the first checkmark on.

Hope this helps.

Frank

0 Kudos