VMware Cloud Community
A_Knight
Contributor
Contributor

setting update manager ip address

My management server has several ip addresses, one for the public network and one for the management network. Due to a 3rd party app installed on the server the binding order has to be set so that the public network connection is at the top of the order. However this causes an issue with update manager as it seems that when a scan is performed update manager is listening on whichever interface is at the top of the binding order.

Is there a way of fixing the update manager to listen on a particular interface?

I've run the through the update manager installation again and selected the corresponding interface but it doesn't seem to have done any good. I've also checked in the registry and can't see anything there as well. The update manager document doesn;t seem to help either.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Minh_Trieu
Contributor
Contributor

I am also experiencing the same problem, has anyone found a solution for this?

0 Kudos
senseipetz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have also the same problem, and VMware support is also involved. If there is an solution, i will post it here.

0 Kudos
jobo
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, it works if i disable my secondary network interface and restart update service and the virtual center service.

Also it seems that the virtula center client runs smoother with the secondary network disabled.

//Message was edited by: jobo

Because I did not read the first post entirely(as usual) I missed the adapter binding order issue.

When I changed the adapter binding order everything runs fine, thankyou.

If someone doesn't know how to change this, just follow these instructions:

0 Kudos
senseipetz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is also the same what i got from VMware as Workaround:

We may have a workaround that you can use. If you go to your VirtualCenter Server and open "Network Connections" explorer window and then click Advanced -> Advanced Settings you should be able to change the order of the NICs. If you do this, and then restart the Update Manager service, your issue should be resolved.

0 Kudos
tjk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Senseipetz-

This also worked for me as well. We have several clusters that are offsite that we manage using the same VirtualCenter Server and were not able to update them until now.

0 Kudos