VMware Cloud Community
jguzmanr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

second service console and das.isolationaddress

I have been reading on how to add a second service console and thought I had read enough until I came to the following section from ha's best practice that caught my eye:

-

Setting more than one isolation response address

Additional isolation response address should be used with service console redundancy, with different values specified for each separate service console network (by default, only the gateway of the first console network is used)

Select a cluster->VMware HA->Advanced Options , and add the das.isolationaddress2 = represents the secondary IP addresses to use

-

Now it seems that most people configure das.isolationadress2, but according to the statement above, the way I read it is: if only one service console is defined by default, it will use the default gateway. Now if a second service console is used, they I need to specify two isolation addresses (one for each SC)......"different values specified for each separate service console network". Just got off the phone with vmware tech support and they tell me that I do have to specify an address for each SC if I'm using more than one.

Now I'm really confused....

0 Kudos
3 Replies
shamim-a
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

u dont need to add two isolation addresses. u can just add the new address as das.isolationaddress2 & increase das.failiuredetectuontime to 20 sec or more.

This is wht i understood after reading resource mgmt guide of esx 3.5 with vc 2.5

Regards

Shamim

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You won't need the additional entries unless you are modifying the default behavior. Without them, you will use default for 1, and specified for the 2nd. Since you are adding an entry for interface 2, I would recommend consistency and specifying an address for interface 1 as well.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When I create secondary consoles it's for customers that are using multiple vlans - if a secondary SC is created I specify the gateway of the vlan as the isolation address.

E.G - SC1 - 192.168.1.10, GW/Default Isolation Address - 192.168.1.1

SC2 - 192.168.2.10, GW - 192.168.1.1, Default Isolation Address - 192.168.2.1

0 Kudos