VMware Cloud Community
johnny6
Contributor
Contributor

renaming vmdk files

I am using ESX Server 3i v3.5.0 build 123629. Hardware is a Dell server with a 250GB SATA hard drive and 3GB of memory

I

have an image of windows 2003 server that is syspreped. I've shut the

virtual machine down, created a new directory on the same datastore and

copied that image over to the new directory.

Now I want to rename that vmdk file to the name of the server that I am creating but I get an error...

'At

the moment, VI Client does not support the renaming of virtual disks as

the machines that use this disk may loose access to the disk'

I was trying to log into the local console but I don't know how to. I was told to give a created user 'shell' access.I was able to get the console snap-in installed but since I can't figure out how to give my created user 'shell' access, I am in a stuck state.

I've asked the question on another support site and I am getting closer but I still can't get to the console to do the renaming of the vmdk file using vmkfstools

How do I rename these files?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
benma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Through VIC:

Shutdown the VM

Rename the VM in VirtualCenter

Migrate the VM and move it to another Datastore

And from the service console:

vmware-cmd -s unregister /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm/vmold.vmx

mv /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-old /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new

cd /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new

vmkfstools -E vm-old.vmdk vm-new.vmdk

find . -name '.vmx' -print -exec sed v-e 's/vm-old/vm-new/g' {} \;

mv vm-old.vmx vm-new.vmx

for every file that hasn't been renamed (.vmsd etc.)

vmware-cmd -s register /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new/vm-new.vmx

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

First of all, what are you trying to do? There is usually no need to rename vmdks since cloning into a template will create an entire new VM for you. However, you could log on to the Service Console to rename the .vmdk. You can that using SSH as root or grant your user shell access in the user properties in the VI Client user management. Keep in mind, renaming vmdks will require updating the corosponding .vmx file in order for the VM to find its vdisks.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

vmkfstools -E <current name >.vmdk <New Name>.vmdk

-Surya

0 Kudos
johnny6
Contributor
Contributor

What I am trying to do is to copy over a Windows 2003 Server profile. I have two or three servers to create and it would be great if I could use the same profile.

You talk about creating a template. Can you please let me know how to do that.

Thanks

0 Kudos
johnny6
Contributor
Contributor

One more thing, can't figure out how to log into the console. I've tried root with the console snap-in but I just get an error message beside the 'connect' button

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

You don't need to rename anything for that, simply right-click the VM and select Clone... or Clone to Template. From the created template, you can deploy new VMs that are just the same as the source one. Further on, you can use sysprep to customize it and create new SSIDs which is importand to do.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
johnny6
Contributor
Contributor

That is where my problem is, I don't get an option to 'clone' or 'clone to template' anywhere.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

cloning and creating templates is a function of vCenter, if you do not have vCenter you will not be able to clone or create templates.

You're best bet would be to use VMware Converter to create the clone.

0 Kudos