VMware Cloud Community
kc_vmnewbie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

re: How to create virtual network for testing vms

Hello,

I have 2 esx servers (3.0.1) in a cluster on my production network - with vmotion, HA and DRS running. I have a 3rd esx server (3.0.1) installed for test purposes - using local storage - although I could setup a vmfs volume on my SAN. It is in a seperate "datacenter" (in Virtual Client 2.0.1) but is on my production network.

1. How do I create a virtual network on the 3rd server and setup a subnet so I can test vms without affecting my production network?

2. How can I "migrate" a vm from this test environment to my production servers?

Thanks for any help on the topic.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

thanks for the info - just to clarify - I only create the new vSwitch? Once I create the vms - I add this network to them and assign static IPs to them?

And add a VM portgroup to the vSwitch - that's all.

VMs connected to this vSwitch (normally referred to as an internal vSwitch) have a completely isolated network of their own.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. How do I create a virtual network on the 3rd server and setup a subnet so I can test vms without affecting my production network?

Create a new vSwitch with no pNIC attached.

2. How can I "migrate" a vm from this test environment to my production servers?

The easiest way is to give the third ESX access to the LUNs.

Then move / copy the VMs to the LUN and import them to your production hosts.

Why do you use a "re: " in the thread title?

jbp00007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can create new virtual switch without PNIC or with PNIC connected to differrent subnet from your production.

If you are using LUN that it is easier to migrate VM's file to production other wise you can manualy copy files with FastSCP client.

FYI I am planing same thing in my network.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

I would first get all hosts into the same datacenter. That way, as long as there are no snapshots, you can use VI to cold migrate, with files, your virtual machines between hosts. Having two VI Datacenter is just adding admin over head you don't need.

If you want you could actually setup all your hosts to access the same SAN LUNS. Then when you need to migrate to or from production you can simply vmotion the virtual machine between hosts. the test server doesn't need to be in the cluster but would just need access to the same LUNs.

It just comes down to how much separation you feel you need between test and prod.

0 Kudos
kc_vmnewbie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello oreeh,

thanks for the info - just to clarify - I only create the new vSwitch? Once I create the vms - I add this network to them and assign static IPs to them?

For the second question - very helpful thanks.

I put re: in the thread because I was thinking "regarding."

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
kc_vmnewbie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi jbp00007,

I don't have a different subnet on my network for test, so I want to contain all communication on the esx server with an internal virtual Lan.

Thanks for the info on migrating the files.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

And add a VM portgroup to the vSwitch - that's all.

VMs connected to this vSwitch (normally referred to as an internal vSwitch) have a completely isolated network of their own.

0 Kudos
kc_vmnewbie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

my third esx server is on an old server - not the same cpu family - so I didn't think Vmotion would be an option.

I would like separation between test and prod. I will eventually have some developers creating vms in test and don't want a vm on the prod network by accident.

Thanks for your info.

0 Kudos
kc_vmnewbie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks oreeh. I'm going to give this a try. When I used the Add networking wizard - the port group was created at that time. During a training session I had, we added a router appliance to this internal network and it served as the dhcp server. I might try that also.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos