VMware Cloud Community
swspjcd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"error reading initialization file" when trying to update VC to Update 2

I am trying to install update 2 and after unpacking VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-104263.zip on our VC server, I run autorun.exe and it correctly detects that I will be doing an upgrade to the existing commponents and asks a bunch of questions about licensing server and database and then when it starts to do the upgrade, I immediately get "error reading initialization file" and a blank dialog box which I'm guessing should have "ok" in it. After clicking it, I get "Warning 25032. The CapacityPlanner Collector installer returned error code []". After I clikc on ok in that dialog box I get "Error 25036. VMware VirtualCenter Server could not be installed.". Then it says the wizard was interrupted. I've seen this problem before with installshield and I did all the usual workarounds for fixing failing installshield installs but none of them seem to help. Anyone have any ideas?

J.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kumarkv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Before doing the upgrade stop all the Virtual Center Service and then run the upgrade. Let me know if this fixes the issue

Thx

Kumar

Cheers Kumar KV If you find this helpful don't forget to award points
0 Kudos
swspjcd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I actually did try stopping all the virtual center services. I just forgot to put that in the original post. It didn't help. The Licensing server must be running to do the upgrade since it is on the same box. The other services don't seem to matter if they are up or down. I get the same error(s) either way.

J.

0 Kudos
swspjcd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think it might be a problem with the VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-104263.zip file as I also downloaded the VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-104263.iso and unpacked it into a temporary directory using WINRAR and ran the install from there and now it's working with no errors. Apparently there is something different between the .ZIP version and the .ISO.

J.

0 Kudos