VMware Cloud Community
matt-brewster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"System Default" Power Controls

Can someone tell me where I set the default power controls on my ESX servers?

If I go into a VM, Edit Settings, Options tab, VMware Tools I can specify what happens when I press the Stop, Pause or Reset buttons. Currently they are all set to "System Default" (i.e. Stop is a hard shutdown). Rather than changing each VM individually, I must be able to change the defaults somewhere.

I've looked everywhere, it's bound to be under my nose...

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
17 Replies
pldoolittle
Contributor
Contributor

Ditto.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Finally! I am not invisible! I have the same problem, great post!

I would like to know this as well . . . . .

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

good question Matt, now im not 100% sure and it may be from the sdk tool kit, i do recall doing this under ESX2.x by editing the .vmx file, i guess the same as changing the advance settings, but it would be on a per VM basis..

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

There must be a source for the vmx file when a VM is created. Maybe there is a file somewhere on the ESX server that is used for this. I'd be interested in knowing this.

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

yeah, just had a quick look but nothing obvious, it may be under my nose as well, i notice matt has a few posts arround at the moment, would be nice if we could resolve one of them for him...

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah I poked around also, I like solving mysteries, have not seen anything though. The helps say this...

"Use System Default follows system settings; the current value of the system settings is shown in parentheses. "

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

me too, i like the "source for the .vmx" statement.... ok im hooked now..

Message was edited by:

acr

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Well I searched the file system for the text "powerType" which is in the vmx file and came up with these matches. It's possibly the vmware-vmx file which is a binary file and not really editable.

\[root@lucifer etc]# cd /usr

\[root@lucifer usr]# find -name '*' -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep "powerType" /

Binary file ./lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/VMware/VmPerl/VmPerl.so matches

Binary file ./lib/vmware/bin-debug/vmware-vmx matches

Binary file ./lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx matches

Binary file ./lib/vmware/perl/control.tar matches

Binary file ./lib/vmware/hostd/libplatform.so matches

Binary file ./lib/vmware/hostd/libvmsvc.so matches

Binary file ./lib/vmware/hostd/vmware-hostd matches

\[root@lucifer usr]# '.vmx''.vmx'

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

I was wondering if the sdk tool kit could script something for when you create a VM..

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

I'm sure there is a way via the VMware tools door and SDK.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I pinged ESX product management on this to get an answer.

pldoolittle
Contributor
Contributor

I hear what you guys are saying with the scripts, but it certainly reads as a global default that can be changed for all VM's unless overridden locally at a particular VM. If that's not the case, and it must be edited on a per VM basis, VMware sure has done a poor job of marking/identifying the controls.

0 Kudos
matt-brewster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad to see other people are as perplexed as me..!

Thanks for requesting info, looking forward to the VMware response.

0 Kudos
MXP1L0T
Contributor
Contributor

Any responses yet? This solution would solve a lot of admin that gets missed at a lot of my clients.

I took a look in SQL but I'm not a SQL guy and didn't see anything that looked like this setting. :smileymischief:

0 Kudos
Jason_Ambrose
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone ever find a solution for this issue?

0 Kudos
fonzie
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone got this solved? How to change default behaviour?

0 Kudos
wolfwolf
Contributor
Contributor

I'm looking for a solution to the same problem, anyone?

Thanks.

0 Kudos