VMware Cloud Community
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

"Resource Allocation" error: spec.memAllocation.overheadLimit

UPDATE: Not resolved yet, but at least the mystery has been solved. It IS a bug. See my post on Feb. 21 at 12:45

Hi.

I'm having trouble on the "Resource Alloation" tab in the VIClient.

Specifically, when I right-click on a VM and choose "Edit Resource Settings", it opens just fine, but then, even if I don't change anything, when I click the 'OK' button to close the window, I get the following error message...

"A specified parameter was not correct.

spec.memAllocation.overheadLimit"

Of course, the way I found it was when I was attempting to make some changes, but then I decided to try it without making any changes and it still happened.

I'm assuming I've got something out of whack in there somewhere, or perhaps I don't even properly understand resource allocation yet, but I have no clue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

steven

:,`:`.:,`:`.:,`:`.:,`:`.:,`:`.:,`:`.:,~`:

Thanks for your kindness and patience as I continue this adventure into the world of server virtualization.

Bullies need not reply Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
16 Replies
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

If you can, shut down the VM and remove from inventory. Then add the VM again to the host. You may also run "service mgmt-vmware restart" just to reset things between the host and VC. See if that helps.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bill.

Actually, it's happening to all of my VMs.

I could temporarily shut down a non-production VM, but I can't run any sort of 'Maintenance Mode' tasks or anything that will require all VMs to be off.

What's the nature of that command you suggested?

steven

Thanks for your kindness and patience as I continue this adventure into the world of server virtualization.

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

It resets the management services between the host and Virtual Center. You can also review this sheet that I have made for myself to review esxcfg commands. This will help you get knowledgable with ESX commands.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bill.

I don't have VC.

steven

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

Thats OK,

The problem is with the host not the VC. The only advice I would give to you for now is, remove from inventory and then add them back in. That resets the VM's into the hosts when you do that. Also, are your vm's on a local HD or connected to a SAN?

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bill.

They are all local to the ESX host.

However, this seems a bit extreme to me....removing them all from inventory and adding them back again.

Isn't there a way to just 'fix' this?

Man, I'm becoming less and less impressed with VMware all the time.

Don't get me wrong, but this thing seems far to vulnerable to getting screwed up.

Any idea how it got to this point in the first place; perhaps resulting from the 3.5 upgrade or something?

steven

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

The Only next step you can take is calling VMWare and see what they can do for you..The number is 1-877-486-9273. VMWare has a good technical support team and depending on the type of support you have purchased (Gold) or (Platinum) you can get help right away.

Hope that helped. 🙂
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

Ok.

Thanks.

I'll try that tomorrow morning.

steven

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

By the way, make sure you post the fix to this post. We would like to see what the issue was.

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

I sure will.

Thanks, Bill.

steven

0 Kudos
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

I spoke with VMware (via my Gold support) about this.

I explained the situation, they went to test it, and called back to confirm it is a bug.

Specifically, I was able to edit the resource allocation for live VMs in 3.0.2, but am not able to in 3.5 (I can only do it for VMs which are powered off).

They said this is indeed a bug and it will now be in their list of things to take care of, but will not necessarily get done today (and I wouldn't expect so - it's not an extremely critical, production issue for me at the moment).

I'll keep this thread updated with whatever else I hear back from them on this issue.

steven

p.s. Thanks for waking me out of my stupor and prompting me to call them and use the support that I paid for. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
DWilga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We too have this "BUG" in our system. It affects us even to the point of powering on a guest.

I know it is against everything they teach in the VCP class, but at least for us, if you abandon trying to make the change within VCenter, and instead make all of the modifications to the guest VM from the host, it seems to work OK. Of course your mileage may vary, but this is at least a quick and usable workaround (for us) until VMware announces the patch.

0 Kudos
pym
Contributor
Contributor

We have this "BUG" as well on a new 3.5, however, my VMs were imported (PowerConvert 6.6.2.4084) from another system which was originally in 3.0.2 and upgraded to 3.5 just before the importation of the VMs (all local disks on both ESX). The problem exists on the new one, but does not on the original system.

In my case, I currently have only one Op system running on this new one and 2 lab systems, so my reason for reallocating ressources was to favor the Op machine. Since I couldn't, I created instead two resources pools (one for Op, the other for Lab) and allocated a higher share to the Op.

I appreciate this post. It is the only one I have found on the Net.

Thanks to all and special thanks to OCR for opening up the thread and William for his esxcfg compilation document.

Thank you all, and please "Do keep updating it". I think I will also take advantage of my VMware support to at least report the problem. I hope it will add more weight to their resolve Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
JSCSJSCS
Contributor
Contributor

It is one year later. I am using ESXi 3.5 U4 with one CentOS Vm running and I get the same error, even if I do not change anything. If it was a bug, VMware has not fixed it yet.

0 Kudos
helloyello
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

just to confirm that, this problem is still exists in vSphere 4-U1.

I've just upgraded my hosts to vSphere U1, after i found everything working fine, i have shutdown the vCenter VM to upgrade the VM-Tools, and accessed to the host where the vCenter was running. when i ugraded the VMTools, and PowerOn the vCenter VM, i see the error still appearing in the host.

A specified parameter was not correc" error: spec.memAllocation.overheadLimit

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos