VMware Cloud Community
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

"Opreation timed out" while migrating between hosts

hello,

i am using esx 3.0.1,i am using 2 esx's ,suddenly when i am trying to move vm's between them (from esx1 to esx2 ) ,at first i can see at the "recenet tasks" that the opreation is jammed in 10% ,and only after a minute i am getting the error "opreation timed out".

\* there isnt any problem with my lan or vmotion connection ,i checked this by pinging from esx1 to esx2 (ping lan to lan and lan to vmotion) ,both are registered well in the dns and respond to each other.

something weird is also noticed : i can to move vm's between esx1 to esx2 only if the vm is powered off !!

at the vmkwarning log i can see :

"Mar 28 17:07:01 esx2 vmkernel: 0:02:02:00.603 cpu11:1150)WARNING: Migrate: 1251: 4292062331: Migration considered a failure by the VMX. It is most likely a timeout, but check the VMX log for the true error.

Mar 28 17:07:01 esx2 vmkernel: 0:02:02:00.603 cpu11:1150)WARNING: Migrate: 1148: 4292062331: Failed: Migration determined a failure by the VMX (0xbad008f) @0x8ab968

Mar 28 17:08:31 esx2 vmkernel: 0:02:03:31.041 cpu1:1155)WARNING: MigrateNet: 285: 4292062332: Connect to <20.132.5.214>:8000 failed: Timeout "

what can i do ?

respectfully,

avi

Message was edited by:

azerrad

0 Kudos
18 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Have you tried vmkping between the both vmotion ip addresses ?

0 Kudos
wobbly1
Expert
Expert

have you checked the vmx log for the vm failing to see if there are any further messages in there? Also, has this ever worked and if so what changes have been made just before it started to fail?

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

yes ,as described there is ping between the hosts and between vmotion ip's.

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

do you mean the log "vm machine".vmx from storage group ? (if no please tell me how to find it).

i opened the server1.vmx log from machine and everything is look fine...the location of the vm at the storage is ok.

what more details i need to look at this vmx file ??

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

this happened after that i upgraded the old esx (only hardware upgrade) ,i moved all the vm's to another esx servers (new servers with dual core),so i installed the vmware on the new esx and just moved the luns (from emc clarion storage) from the old esx to the new esx.

those errors occured only after this upgrade.

respectfully,

avi

0 Kudos
wobbly1
Expert
Expert

sorry, is it a new ESX server or different storage. If its the server, is the hardware (CPU) the same as the other servers?

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

the storage is the same storage and even the the luns are the same with the same old lun numbers.

i moved those luns to the new esx's.

i just assigned the old luns to the new esx's and i got my datasore names again.

i upgraded 2 old esx's (same version 3.0.1 with the same hardware) to new 2 esx'2 with new hardware (ibm 3850 dual core) both are ibm 3850 dual core servers and everything is working fine except the migration.....

so both new esx's are excatly the same hardware ,ibm 3850 dual core.the old esx's were in H.T technology.

respectfully,

avi

0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@azerrad

open a call to the vmware support center. Because i have got the same problem with HP Servers. vmotion validating the procedure, starts but after 10% i get the message timed out.

My call is at the moment open bye vmware, I´am very confused but i think there is little bug in VI3.01.

When i get a result from vmware, i can say you what happens...

send me a private message with your email when you want get the result.

have a nice day.

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Have you checked your VC inventory for unused datastores ?

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

all my datastores ar ok and in use.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Have you really used "vmkping" for ping testing ?

0 Kudos
wobbly1
Expert
Expert

also, did you create a new cluster or just add the new hardware in? Do the new servers have the same hostnames/ip addresses as the old servers?

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

yes,

i performed a ping command between those 2 servers and between vmotion ips and its ok...

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

1) the new servers using a diffrent names and diffrent ip's

2) i didnt create a new cluster,i just rejoined the new esx's to existing cluster (in every cluster there is 2 server ,so first i migratet all the machines to the second esx and then i removed esx1 from the cluster and i joined the new esx (ibm dual core server) and then i migrate all the vms to the new one and i dont know how but it worked,and the same steps taken for the second esx)

3) right now everything is working except that i cannot migrate vm's between esx's (the new esx's).

respectfully,

avi

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Have you tried cold migration (on the same vmfs) ?

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

do you mean to move vm's while they are powered off ? ,because it is working (the migration) only when the vm's in power off.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Yes, and let the vmdk files stay on the same vmfs.

0 Kudos
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a similar problem. Take a look this thread:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=71221&tstart=0

0 Kudos