VMware Cloud Community
A_K1
Contributor
Contributor

"A general system error occured: internal error" while adding GSX to VC

"A general system error occured: internal error" while adding GSX to VC. Add new host wizard completes successfully but connection to GSX host fails. Reconnect does not help either.

VMware VirtualCenter Version 2.5.0 Build 64192 on Win2003 SP2

GSX Server 1.0.6 on Win2003 SP2

Both are on the same network.

I have even re-installed on clean machines both VC and GSX - no result.

Double-checked all DNS settings as recommended at http://communities.vmware.com/message/523893

Same error. Any ideas how to resolve it?

Regards, Anton.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
GaryCCIE
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. I can't get VC to connect to any GSX servers. The ESX servers all seem to work ok.

0 Kudos
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may want to get rif off your gsx server and replace it by ESX 3i , and then add this 3i server to your VC management server

It may be a little work to do , but worthfull !!

ESX3i is now free

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Server is only supported by Virtual Center 1.4!

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

VC 2.5 can not manage GSX hosts to manage GSX hosts you will need to install VC 1.4, alternatively consider upgrading to Virtual Server or ESXi

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it possible to upgrade from VM Server directly to ESX 3i ?

Same question : from VMWare workstatoin to EXS 3i ?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

upgrading to Virtual Server

Tom, now I'm really concerned... Smiley Wink

Yeah I know I'm pesky :smileygrin:

BTW: VMware Server requires VC 1.4 as well

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

That depends on how the VMs were configured.

The easiest way is to use VMware Converter.

0 Kudos
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what do you mean by That depends on how the VMs were configured.

which parameter are important to be considered ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

it depens on how you would want to upgrade. upgrading as in "same server other hypervisor and keep using local vm's", than the answer is no. if you just want to move the vm's than use vmware converter, will work just fine.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

OK so it was a typing mischuck, I really did mean to say VMware Server Honest

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

If the VM uses virtual SCSI disks and doesn't use USB or other virtual HW not supported in ESX you can in theory simply import the disks using vmkfstools.

The Converter approach however is the easier one and will work in almost all cases (the big exception being Linux, FreeBSD, ...)

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Is it possible to upgrade from VM Server directly to ESX 3i ?

Same question : from VMWare workstatoin to EXS 3i ?

time for a consultant type answer Smiley Happy

your guests can be conveted from GSX or VMware Server to ESX format by using VM Converter. however your hosts must be reinstalled from base metal.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great !

Many thanks for your answer

0 Kudos
A_K1
Contributor
Contributor

Well, maybe it is true in general, but my personal experience provided no evidence of successful converting using VM conveter. I have tried several guests (with workstation 4, 5 and 6 VM format) to convert - none worked in ESX due to virtual hardware problems. By the way MVWare Ovftool provided offline functionality similar to converter but worked for me a bit faster.

The question is - how can I upgrade to ESXi from Server if my hardware has no SCSI and has old processors?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you're planning on going to ESXi, then it would be best to consider hardware on the HCL - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_systems_guide.pdf. ESXi will work with hardware not on the list, but it would depend and what sort of NICs / CPU and storage controller your system has and you run a risk of using hardware that has not been certified for use with ESXi.

0 Kudos
A_K1
Contributor
Contributor

Well I have ESX installed, so I studied hardware thoroughly, believe me. Shorly - ESX does not work on SATA controllers and old processors. So I see no point in advices "upgrade Server to ESXi".

In my case Server installations are used as a (a) backup and (b) to run some weak VMs just to make use of old hardware.

0 Kudos