VMware Cloud Community
missupport1
Contributor
Contributor

question about redundancy

hello,

We are working with an ESX 3 server connected to a san.

I have just installed a second fysical ESX 3 server to have hardware redundancy.

Now in my san configuration i have added a lun who already was assigned to the first ESX3 server.

I assign the same lun to the second ESX3 server. When i want to do add storage in the configuration, i get a warning:

The current disk layout will be destroyed. All file systems and data will be lost permanently.

Is it not possible to connect two ESX servers to the same lun, so if one server it's motherboard crashes, that you can startup the second and connect to the same lun in order to have access to your vmdk files?

How can i do this?

we are not working with virtual center for now.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll want to ensure that both ESX hosts see the LUN with the same LUN ID. Then on the 2nd server, click on Configuration\Storage Adapters, select the HBA and then click on Rescan. On the Rescan window, make sure both options (Scan for new hardward devices / Scan for new VMFS partitions) are enabled.

With ESX 3, I've done this just with VirtualCenter, but you should be OK without it. What you describe was OK with ESX 2.5.

0 Kudos
missupport1
Contributor
Contributor

Thx, that did the trick Smiley Happy

0 Kudos