VMware Cloud Community
lucheman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

quad core processors

what version of ESX is needed to support the use of quad core processors?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReverendDeuce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you check out the System Compatibility Guide I linked for you previous, your question should be answered. Smiley Happy

Unless you have a system that is not on the HCL. If that is the case, then it's a toss-up (as with anything else).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ReverendDeuce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Newer versions of ESX offer newer processor support.

Check:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_systems_guide.pdf

"NOTE: The Intel Xeon 5100, 5300 and 7100 series of processors, and the AMD 2000/8000 series of processors are not supported with any of the listed servers unless explicitly footnoted."

That will give you an idea of what systems are supported. Currently, I have two quad-core HP DL 380 G5's working with 3.0.2 just fine.

esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Any version of ESX3 supports quad core, starter/standard/enterprise.

VI3 Key Feature and Benefits Summary by Version - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi_key_features_benefits.pdf

Pricing, Packaging & Licensing Overview - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi_pricing.pdf

0 Kudos
ReverendDeuce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not sure if "version" is what you are saying... If you mean edition, then you are correct. But version typically refers to numbering, and it's fairly clear from reading the System Compatibility Guide that I linked to in my previous reply that not every version of ESX 3 supports the newer quad-core CPUs. ESX 3.0.0 may not support what he is asking about, but 3.0.2 might.

He asked for version, but he may have meant edition...

Hompie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3 will run on quad cores, but have to agree the question is notvery clear.

If you actually want VM's to be able to have 4 vCpu's, you need the license for that. But that also applies to 4-way dual cores.

0 Kudos
lucheman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for the delay in response, I was in a meeting...

I was referring to version. 3.01, or 3.02, etc. I just want to know if I have a server with quad cores if I have to run a certain version of ESX to support it. I thought all versions supported quad cores, but I have heard recently that is not the case?

I am not concerned with the differences in Edition (Standard, Enterprise) that is pretty straightforward.

I have just been hearing conflicting information as to what version of ESX supports quad cores so I wanted to get a definitive answer.

0 Kudos
ReverendDeuce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you check out the System Compatibility Guide I linked for you previous, your question should be answered. Smiley Happy

Unless you have a system that is not on the HCL. If that is the case, then it's a toss-up (as with anything else).

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

3.01 does support quad cores.

0 Kudos
lucheman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, it appears that this is not exactly a true statement. ESX 3.0.1 supports quad cores on certain hardware. You really have to check the systems compatibility guide to find the type of server you are using to see whether quad core processors are supported by either 3.0.1 or 3.0.2.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If it supports quad core, then it supports quad core on ALL machines.

The fact that certain types of hardware does NOT have Quad core does not mean that ESX won't support it. For whatever reason, a chipset may not fully support the features of a certain processor, that but doesn't mean ESX will not.

So the problem is hardware NOT ESX.

0 Kudos