VMware Cloud Community
Redsupreme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

qlogic 4062c in ESX3.5 firmware upgrade

Hi

Have installed ESX3.5 onto a Dell 6950. Customer has installed to Qlogic 4062c iSCSI HBA cards

Trying to upgrade firmware from version 1.13. Have managed to download zip file from QLogic which has a gla4022.dl file. How can I install this ?

Any assistance would be appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You got it!

On the second CDROM I have 4 files...

DOS4GW.EXE

iFLASH.EXE

QL4022RM.BIN - This is the bios

QLA4022.DL - This is the firmware

I found the utils when I downloaded the latest boot code from QLogic's web site. Note you will have to select Windows 2003 as your OS. Scroll down to the "Boot Code" section and you will see the file "BIOS for QLA405x and QLE406x" version 1.14.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ESXDevil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Redsupreme

I did it once 1 year ago but it was terrible. Because there wasn't a way to upgrade with a boot-cd or something else and also there was no way to do it with an ESX server i have set up a windows 2003 Server system and on that system i could update the iSCSI cards.

Perhaps there is an other and better solution

Regards

ESXDevil

0 Kudos
candace
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

1.13 is the BIOS version. The firmware version you are after is 3.0.1.49. You should also update to BIOS version 1.14 from what I've read. Grab these from the Qlogic site under RedHat downloads, although the 3.0.1.49 firmware is now listed under ESX.

You also need to download SANSurfer cli version and install in the service console. You can also get the iscli (Sansurfer cli) utility from the Qlogic downloads page. Once installed, run it in the same directory as your firmware and BIOS file and go into the options, 3 -> 2, from memory (I actually did this update this morning coincidentally enough). There are other threads here and on the Qlogic site to guide you. Once you are have navigated to the right spot, enter filename and voila. It was all very easy. The firmware updates also allowed Jumbo frames to be enabled and ESX to boot in a reasonable time.

Cheers,

David

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello,

There are two ways you can update the QLA4062 code.

1 A boot floppy if available

bootable floppy and run iFLASH with both the BIN and DL on the same disk

I can upload one if you can use it

2 Sansurfer for linux rpm

as already posted

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

I've upgraded the firmware/bios many times on my 4052/4062 HBA's. I follow much of the same process as Mike although I use a CDROM. Here is the URL from QLogic on how to create a bootable CDROM...

Redsupreme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for your (and the other guys) responses.

I had seen the CD Rom link on the QLogic site. Unfortunately I was on a customers site yesterday with a slow link and Surf Control restricting access.

Here is what I propose to do and the bits I am unsure of, so any clarification / additional steps would be welcome.

1, Download Flashcd and unpack

2, Burn FlashCD.iso

3, Burn second CD with qla4022.dl file. and the necessary iflash utils

This is part that I am missing where are the necessary iflash utils ?

4 Follow instruction boot with first CD, insert seond CD and run iflash /fb to update the BIOS and or iflash /ff to update the firmware

5 Reboot the server

Thanks

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You got it!

On the second CDROM I have 4 files...

DOS4GW.EXE

iFLASH.EXE

QL4022RM.BIN - This is the bios

QLA4022.DL - This is the firmware

I found the utils when I downloaded the latest boot code from QLogic's web site. Note you will have to select Windows 2003 as your OS. Scroll down to the "Boot Code" section and you will see the file "BIOS for QLA405x and QLE406x" version 1.14.

0 Kudos
Redsupreme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

doubleH

Thanks

Have all files gonna burn onto CD and be ready to go when back on site:^0

0 Kudos