VMware Cloud Community
jtokach
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

prochot for system board

Hi,

We just upgraded to 3.5U2 and the hardware health is yellow - warning.

Under Configuration>Health Status>Other we have listed:

ProcHot for System Board - Normal

We'll be upgrading another identical server this evening, but was wondering what to do about this issue?

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bitsorbytes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

some more general searching seesm to uncover this post

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1033444#1033444

Basically broken by design between HP and VMware, appears there is hope in ESX 3.5 U3 Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
bitsorbytes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Anyone got any ideas on this issue?

I have the same fault on my BL25p G2 machines.

Attached a screenshot via VI client. Sort of makes the hardware reporting useless, as they all are in 'warning' even when they are 'normal'

Thanks heaps!

Andrew

0 Kudos
bitsorbytes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

some more general searching seesm to uncover this post

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1033444#1033444

Basically broken by design between HP and VMware, appears there is hope in ESX 3.5 U3 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jtokach
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good find.

How in the world did this slip past Quality Control? Did they even test on AMD? Have they ever heard of AMD??? Ridiculous...

0 Kudos
bitsorbytes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes poor signs in the QA dept it appears. From readings I've done it appears to be more a HP fault, as its reporting the 'sensor' to VMware CIM server. As HP says "The ProcHot flag is an Intel only health status flag", so why is the hardware presenting it on AMD systems!?

So far I can only find HP hardware having this ProcHot flag issues, with AMD boards.

Andrew

0 Kudos
vancod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Brand new HP BL495c's (you know, the ones DESIGNED for virtulaization) running 3.5.3 - same error Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

And the same for vSphere on BL495c

Ole Thomsen

0 Kudos
Erik_Bussink
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well same here, I've got a few HP BL685c G1 systems with the latest BIOS (Firmware CD 8.5.0) and HP Insight Agent 8.2.5 for vSphere 4.0 installed showing the same errors...

If HP can't fix this in the BIOS, then I hope that we could enter some kind of Rule in vCenter so that it doesn't take into account this specifc error.

Erik Bussink Solution Architect @VMware CISSP, VCP#67, RHCE, DCUCD
0 Kudos
zorkani
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

I have the same error with a brand new BL495c G6 on vSphere. However, it didn't see it in the G5 !

Were you able to fix this problem ??

Thanks,

- Ashraf

0 Kudos
GarethWilson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i am running esx 4 update 1 and vcenter server 4 update 1 and the error still occurs Smiley Sad on my hp c class blades 465c's G1 & G5

just found this as well

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01833766&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting, the HP advisory indicates the warning is in the VI client and can be ignored.

It's also picked up by HPSIM via WBEM. We've just had a situation where this actually went back to OK and then within a minute was reflagged as too hot. So it sent a wbem alert that resulted in various e-mails.

At least we know the wbem indicator mechanism works, I was wondering how to test that!

0 Kudos