VMware Cloud Community
jeffjiang
Contributor
Contributor

problem using ESX 3.5 and EqualLogic PS5000E(iscsi)

i have got a equallogic ps5000E, which is a iscsi storage, it has 3 ethernet interfaces, and all are connected to a switch(cisco 4948), a windows server 2003 also connected to the switch, i install the iscsi initiator with MPIO on the server, the server can access the volume on the ps5000E without any problem.

but i setup a new esx 3.5, connect it to the switch, the esx can't connect to PS5000E, which always says "time out", if i disable 2 interfaces of PS5000E, only 1 interface still enable, the esx can find the PS5000E, and also can access the volume.

any help ? thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
iamanomad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have an older Equallogic (pre Dell) that is used with standalone VMware Servers, one Windows 2003 server, and now 2 new ESX 3.5 hosts, so I know it should work. Did you setup a seperate LAN for the storage? I am using 172.17.* for my production lan and 192.168.1.* for my SAN needs. On the ESX side I setup a vswitch for the storage with a port and a service console attached to two vnics. The iSCSI software adapter is set to dynamic discovery with IP restriction on the SAN. I remember it took some playing around with getting the configuration right until it worked. I'm rather new at ESX and self taught, but if you expand a little on the detail I'll try and match up with my setup to see if something jumps out.

jeffjiang
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for reply, this my detail:

Using 10.1.1.251,10.1.1.252,10.1.1.253 for the 3 interfaces of the storeage, and it's group is 10.1.1.250.

On the ESX side I setup 2 vswitch, each attached to one vmnic. One vmnic attach the san(10.1.1.), the other attach the production lan (192.168.1.).

The vswitch, which attached to the SAN, have a VMKernel(10.1.1.201) and a service console(10.1.1.202)

The iSCSI software adapter is set to dynamic discovery with iSCSI name restriction on the SAN.

0 Kudos
iamanomad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That looks similar to mine with the exception of the restriction by name and not IP. Under your Send Targets in the Dynamic Discovery Tab, what address and port do you have in there? If you look at the Storage Adapters and then click on the iSCSI software adapter (vmhba37 in my case) does the details window look correct? I am assuming that is all correct or it shouldn't have worked at all.

Off the top of my head, I am wondering if this is more a switch issue than an ESX issue? Do you have the switch ports setup special for the MPIO on the other box? I'm wondering if the ports are trunked or something that ESX isn't expecting and that is why it works when the other ports are disabled. Equallogic has so far (for me) had great support and they are very knwledgable about VMware, you may want to give them a call. If nothing else, they may help determine where in this configuration to proceed.

0 Kudos
jeffjiang
Contributor
Contributor

Under my Send targets in the Dynamic Discovery Tab, the address is 10.1.1.250( the storage's group ip), and the port is 3260. I'm using vmhba32 for the iSCSI software adapter, it seems correct( when only 1 interface enabled in the storage).

I have called equallogic, and just waiting their reply.

0 Kudos
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

i would check that the ESX firewall has the iSCSI port 3260 open,go to Host - config - security - properties- Software iSCSI should be ticked

Would also check to ensure the physical switch port the ESX host is patched to is in the iSCSI vlan

0 Kudos
jeffjiang
Contributor
Contributor

yes, there is no problem with the firewall, it is open for the iSCSI

and all port are patched to the same vla

0 Kudos