VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

p2v NIC question

I just P2V a box, and when I am trying to enter the IP address so it's giving me an erorry the address has already been assigned to other NIC, which is hidden. The physical box had 2 NICs.. I want to use the same Ip address.. how should I proceed? thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have you tried to just completely remove the network adapters from your guest and then add them in again? Are the VMware Tools installed on your guest?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Check out kb 1014169 for the resolution.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

There would be some hidden devices, which you need to uninstall manually from device manager

- go to command prompt. enter the command "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1"

- open device manager under "view" select "show hidden devices"

- uninstall the old devices.

Now you should be good to go.

Hope this helps !!

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I already tried all of that... getting the below error when I try to remove the old nics.

"failed to install the device. The device maybe required to boot up the computer"

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is the error that you get something like "this address is already in use on another adapter, do you want to enter a different address?" If so, try just clicking No.

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes. i did hit NO, entered the same address, but I can't ping the box... or neither I can ping anything off the box... rebooted it couple of times, no luck... the VM has two nics...it shows connected, but does not resolve anything inside and outside network

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well then I'm stumped unless you just overlooked something simple, like changing the default gateway if it is a different subway, or the vnic is not connected in Virtual Center. And you might try disconnecting and reconnecting it, and/or disabling and re-enabling it in the VM. One or the other of those steps has fixed a surprising number of network problems for me.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have you tried to just completely remove the network adapters from your guest and then add them in again? Are the VMware Tools installed on your guest?

0 Kudos