VMware Cloud Community
einjen
Contributor
Contributor

open vm guest from local filesystem

I've just copied two VMs into the vmf storage of my esx server and would like to start them. How can this be done?

I did not import it with vmware converter, just copied them from a vmware server with scp.

is it at all possible to migrate a guest to esx?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If the VMs were created with virtual IDE drives, then you would have to use converter as it will fix the VM to use a SCSI virtual drive. ESX only support SCSI virtual drives.

Otherwise, you can right click on the datastore, browse to the VMX file for the VM and then right click on it and select add to inventory. You can then try to start it up. Ideally you'll should avoid copying directly to vmfs with scp. It should be copied to a temporary location and then copied to the file location with the vmkfstools command.

ascari
Expert
Expert

Open your virtua infrastructure client, select your esx host and ckick on vmfs datastore in wich you have your virtual machine.

Open the folder, select .vmx file, right mouse click and then select add to inventory

bye

Alberto

einjen
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both. It didnt work however. I got an error saying it was not possible to configure the guest. I ended upå copying my VM to an xp and from there use converter, which worked splendid, althoug took some time.....

0 Kudos