VMware Cloud Community
naveen1701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

network connectivity lost

Hi, i am running ESX 3.5 Update 2, network connectivity is getting lost frequently and could see the below log in vmkernel....

The following error message might be logged in VMkernel:

Mar 26 23:27:07 vmkernel: 0:02:33:07.052 cpu0:1024)Net: L2Sec_EnforcePortCompliance:229: 0x3000005: peer not allowed

promiscuous, revoking setting

Any help to resolve this issue Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

An issue like this looks to be fixed in update 3

From

"New: Network connectivity Might be Lost When Network Teaming Policy is Based on Port Id.

Network connectivity might be lost when using network teaming, and the teaming policy is based on Port Id. The following error message might be logged in VMkernel:

Aug 6 23:27:07 vmkernel: 0:02:33:07.052 cpu0:1024)Net: L2Sec_EnforcePortCompliance:229: 0x3000005: peer not allowed

promiscuous, revoking setting

Network connectivity works fine if you enable the promiscuous mode of the virtual vswitch, and perform a tcpdump -i portgroup. But stopping tcpdump again results in loss of network connectivity. This issue is fixed in this release."

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert

Did you see this? Is it an option to install Update 3?

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_esx35u3_rel_notes.html#resolvednetworkingissues

New: Network connectivity Might be Lost When Network Teaming Policy is Based on Port Id.

Network connectivity might be lost when using network teaming, and the

teaming policy is based on Port Id. The following error message might

be logged in VMkernel:

Aug 6 23:27:07 vmkernel: 0:02:33:07.052 cpu0:1024)Net: L2Sec_EnforcePortCompliance:229: 0x3000005: peer not allowed promiscuous, revoking setting

Network connectivity works fine if you enable the promiscuous mode of the virtual vswitch, and perform a tcpdump -i portgroup. But stopping tcpdump again results in loss of network connectivity.

This issue is fixed in this release.

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert

1 min to late ... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And I have a 6 month old on my lap. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
virtualprince
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i had the same issue.....after installing update 3 the issue was resolved......

Thanks,

Suresh

Thanks, Suresh
0 Kudos