VMware Cloud Community
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

moving vms from 3.02 to 3.5 - can they be moved back to 3.02 if something goes wrong?

I'm moving a VM from esx 3.02 to a new 3.5 u4 host and a new SAN.

I will be using VMware converter to move the vm, which appears to make a copy of the data files on the new datastore.

If I need to move this VM back to the 3.02 host due to problems, will the 3.5 host have made any changes to the configuration or datafiles that would prevent the rollback from working?

( realise that there will be a copy of the VM on the old san after the export, but if the vm runs for a few days and users have updated data etc. then I can't just fire up the vm on the old san)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adolopo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Aside from the version of vmtools changing (which shouldn't be a problem either); you shouldn't have a problem at all and if delta's are a problem (going back) you can always convert the 3.5 back to 3.02.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes VMware COnverter makes a copy of the machine - your should be able to move the vm back to the 3.02 with out a problem -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There should be no problem to go back if something goes wrong.

But ESX U4 is a very stable version and if your host and your storage are fully supportes by vmware you should not hAVY ANY PROBLEMS:

Good luck!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
adolopo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Aside from the version of vmtools changing (which shouldn't be a problem either); you shouldn't have a problem at all and if delta's are a problem (going back) you can always convert the 3.5 back to 3.02.

0 Kudos
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice.

My SAN isn't on the 4.0 HCL, so I'm giving it a miss for a while.

0 Kudos