VMware Cloud Community
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

moving from one cluster to another cluster

I want to be able to move one guest from one cluster to another cluster also two different luns associated with those clusters. one cluster is for dev & stage and the other is for production. Is it possible to move this guest? The VMotion is setup with the service console vSwtich on the dev & stage cluster and the VMotion is independent on the production cluster.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you want to move the VM form one LUN to anotther LUN and move hosts you will not be able to vmotion - the best way to do this is by cold migration with the VM powered off this will allow you to change hosts and datastres - This of course is assuming everything is in the same VC environment

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you want to move the VM form one LUN to anotther LUN and move hosts you will not be able to vmotion - the best way to do this is by cold migration with the VM powered off this will allow you to change hosts and datastres - This of course is assuming everything is in the same VC environment

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You cannot vmotion between clusters. The best way to do this is, unregister the virtual machine. Use FastSCP to connect to an esx server in each of your clusters then copy the VM files from one ESX server to the other, then re-register the VM once the files are located in the new cluster.

Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well this depends which ESX version you are running and what kind of setup you have. Cluster has never been a boundary for vmotion AFAIK

wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sorry you are correct, no idea why i had it in my head a cluster was a vmotion bounday...doh!

With this in mind just shut it down, right click on the host and select migrate, and select the option to migrate storage..

0 Kudos