VMware Cloud Community
srbush
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

mount ISO in a vmfs volume so it is accessable from the Console

I can mount ISOs stored on my iSCSI shared storage (formatted as VMFS) on my VMs, but I also want to mount them so that ESX can see them as well.

I can do that for images stored anywhere on local storage via: mount -o loop -t iso9660 -r /vmimages/esx3.iso /mnt/cdrom

But if I try that from a vmfs LUN I get the following error: ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Invalid argument

I have seen this (the fact that you get the error) mentioned several times in previous posts but no one has ever answered the issue of how to resolve it (or if it is not possible, etc.).

I am running ESX 3.02

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

try : mount -o loop /vmimages/esx3.iso /mnt/cdrom

0 Kudos
srbush
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's just another version of my command which will work on local stirage but not on an image located on a vmfs LUN.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Mount them as the file folder. This is assuming you have a directory called ISO under /vmimages

mount -t smbfs -o username= //windows server/share /vmimages/ISO

I do this from the SAN which requires NFS export but if you do it from a Windows machine, it should work fine.

0 Kudos
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes but this command work better... with ESX.

i will try tomorrow

0 Kudos
srbush
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think either of you read/understand the question.

fransois - that only works on non-vmfs LUNs

RParker - I do not use NFS

The full command I am using with error message is:

# mount -t iso9660 /vmfs/volumes/SAN2-P2-VD2/ISO-Images/esx.iso /mnt/cdrom -o loop

ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Invalid argument

#

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

OK, first we are TRYING to help you. So if you don't want our help fine. I can go on to other people.

Secondly, maybe your question was worded in such a manner that you didn't properly TELL us what your problem is. So it's not up to the reader to make sure WE understand it's the writer that should make it CLEAR.

Third, NFS was merely a suggestion. I was attempting to resolve the problem by doing something I am doing now, because I have NO problem mounting ISO's on a VMFS volume, so maybe (again) the problem lies with you, not us.

So maybe it's you that doesn't understand what WE are trying to tell YOU. That's ok. I am sure someone else will be glad to fix it.

0 Kudos
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

You cannot mount an ISO from a VMFS volume.. but you can store ISO to VMFS for VM to use it.

Else... copy the ISO you need on you ESX service console and mount it from there.. with the command you use at the begining.

And I'm agree... If you ask help.. maybe it's not the 5 person that read you post that don't understand but the post itself is confusing...

srbush
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jonathanp,

Thank you for your answer. Do you have a reference or official vmWare note on that effect?

As regards the original post, you obviously didn't have any trouble understanding the question. I usually put a lot of thought into the wording of the subject line especially to ensure it captures the essence of the issue. I get so frustrated seeing posts where the subject line is "ESX trouble" (or simular), basically useless.....

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos