VMware Cloud Community
MLaskowski012
Contributor
Contributor

missing pointer VMDK file. All I got is the -flat.vmdk why is this happening

I was wondering if anybody has been experiencing this issue missing pointer VMDK. Seems like it started after we installed the newest ESX updates and also upgraded to Virtual Center Update 4, but I'm not 100% sure on that. This is a second VM that I run into, same issue in 2 weeks. For some reason the VM's lost the vmdk pointer file. I know the steps on how to create a new one and fix it but trying to figure out what is causing this to happen. All I see if I browse the data store is the -FLAT.VMDK file? What can be causing this. It's very possible the VM got v-motioned, or it was powered off for a day or two and then I go back and its missing the vmdk? Weird issues and it only happen twice now just trying to figure out why is this happening and what can be causing this. The first time this it happen the VM tried to v-motion and failed for whatever reason and it got powered OFFon its own and then the file was missing. Now with this VM, I was on it 2 days ago and power it off and today cannot power it back on because its missing the C:\ drive vmdk ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

While I do not have an answer, I'd be very interested to hear if someone else has this problem as well. By answering here now, i'm bumping up your thread in the hopes that someone else who has seen this before as well will jump in.

I'm a bit surprised that the datastore is showing the -flat.vmdk file as it usually only shows the descriptor file.

You are correcting the problem from the command line?

Have you looked at your logfiles from the host? There might be a hint somewhere...

--

Wil

Visit the VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
MLaskowski012
Contributor
Contributor

I'm working with VMware support on this one. They reviewed the logs and have no clue why this happen. I guess looking on-line this is not a uncommon issues since a lot of people run into this at one point or another that's how I found the resolution of re-crating the pointer file. From what I gathered one thing that can cause this issue is if you do not shut down the server grace fully or basically just click on Power OFF. What else can cause this to happen?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

From what I gathered one thing that can cause this issue is if you do not shut down the server grace fully or basically just click on Power OFF. What else can cause this to happen?

Yes that's the only other time I've read about this happening with other people. A normal vmotion should never remove a file, which is what you are seeing.

Have you checked your storage logs? Maybe something is wrong down there?

PS: I do not see how a simple VM Power Off would cause this, but a host power off.. yes then it might happen.

--

Wil

Visit the VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Another one of these cases

Also happened after a power off of the VM.

0 Kudos