VMware Cloud Community
Rammi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

missing Myname-flat.vmdk

I copied the VM file from datastore to other and noticed that the Myname-flat.vmdk is missing and i just have the Myname.vmdk left with the size which i had for Myname-flat.vmdk

i would want to understand why is that and what could be it's implications..

Anyone ??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you login to the console and look at the folder, the vmdk/flat.vmdk files will be visible. With ESX 3.5, the VI client only displays the VMDK when you browse a datastore, but both files do exist.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
six
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

did you use "cp" or "vmkfstools" command ?

bg six

0 Kudos
Rammi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No i did'nt .. and i guess it's sorted out .. the VM i copied was from ESX 3.0 to ESX 3.5 and there is no Myname-flat.vmdk file in ESX 3.5.It's only 1 Myname.vmdk file

All sorted .. thanks for your help mate!

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

the -flat.vmdk is the actual disk........ it definitely does exist in ESX 3.5

myvm.vmdk is a pointer that looks at myvm-flat.vmdk

0 Kudos
Rammi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yup that's what even i was thinking. i created a couple of VM's in a test environment and there was no flat file.

i then contacted my freind in VMware and he told me there is no flat file in ESX 3.5

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you login to the console and look at the folder, the vmdk/flat.vmdk files will be visible. With ESX 3.5, the VI client only displays the VMDK when you browse a datastore, but both files do exist.

0 Kudos
Rammi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you are indeed right mate.

I did check that and it is right there. but the size is only 64 kb. does it now contain the virtual disk characteristics as opposed to earlier when it used to have the data.

0 Kudos