VMware Cloud Community
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

message after vmotion

Hi,

when we vmotion to one server & then imeediatley vmotion another we recive the following message. It does not stop vmotion working but just wondering if i could change anything to get rid of the message. If you leave it 5 minutes & try again the message does not occur. I have checked VM tools and they all look ok & using the latest version.

migration from servername: No guest OS heartbeats are being received. either the guest OS is not responding or VMware tools is not configured properly

Thanks

phill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is a warnig I have seen when trying to vmotioning the vm soon after the vm has started with out allowing time for the esx host to recognize the vmware tools heartbeats - I just ignore itwhen I realize that is going on -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is a warnig I have seen when trying to vmotioning the vm soon after the vm has started with out allowing time for the esx host to recognize the vmware tools heartbeats - I just ignore itwhen I realize that is going on -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As David stated the message can be safely ignored.

Here is the KB to support it http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003805

garyallan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was having the same problem and I found that the VMs that were doing this were VM's that had serial devices checked in VMWARE Tools or checked to connect at power on, the delay starting these non existant devices seemed to be causing the host notto get the heartbeat from the guest that it was up.

Soem servers I P2V'd has as many as 6 serial devices and I did not get them all deleted.

GaryAllan

0 Kudos