VMware Cloud Community
fabricesforzani
Contributor
Contributor

licence pbm pass from evaluation to normal licence

Hello

I installed 2 esx 3.5 with a vc 2.5 in evaluation mode (not receive the licence)

Today I received from vmware my licence

Here are your Serial Numbers/Activation Code (s) for Order# 20155664:

Flex Code(s) for Academic VMware Infrastructure Enterprise for 2 processors :

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Flex Code(s) for Academic VMware vCenter Server Foundation (Limited to 3 Nodes) :

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

so I want to the vmware licence site and downloaded my lic file

I saved the lic file in the program files, vmware licencing folder

and did restart

but i have on my vc the text : Evaluation mode xx days remaining !!!)

Is it normal, does this msg must go away ????,

So I thought that its maybe my lic file so i want on one of my 2 esx server in Configuration/licence and try to manually add the lic file

and I had an error telling me that its not a good licence. Maybe it's normal because its a vc file and not a host file

So I have 15 days remaining !! do you have some info

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if you go to the main tool barAdministrationVirutalCenter Management Server Configuration, make sure the check mark is removed from Evaluate VirtualCenter Server and ensure you have the right VirtualCenter Server Edition

0 Kudos
fabricesforzani
Contributor
Contributor

HI WHEN YOU ENTER THE IP ADRESS OF THE LICENCE SERVER automaticly the evaluation box is uncheck

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

go here to check your license

http://www.vmware.com/checklicense/

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

one other thing, you did install a lisense server, correct? During the process you will need to point it to your .lic file.

0 Kudos
fabricesforzani
Contributor
Contributor

I used the ip adress of the server licence directly

its a centralized file lic

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you need to point you license server install to the .lic file, not the IP of the server. Do a repair on your license server install it asks you if you have a license server (not exactly sure on the exact verbiage), point it to the .lic file.

You can also find the installation files under the vpx folder within your vCenter Server .iso

This may be somewhat helpful

http://pubs.vmware.com/vi3/install/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=install&file=instal...

0 Kudos
fabricesforzani
Contributor
Contributor

Yes of course i did it

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the process of installing and configuring your license server should be pretty straight forward. You may want to go back to step one. Uninstall the license server, keeping the .lic file handy, then run the install again.

If you feel all the steps you have taken are in tact, then it's best to get someone on the phone that may have remote access into your environment and actually see what is going on. Maybe opening an SR with VMware is an option as well?

0 Kudos
fabricesforzani
Contributor
Contributor

Hello found the problem

You must also go in the administration virtual center management server configuration

and select the right licence mode

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

funny thing is is that if you look at my earlier posts i pointed that out as well.

please consider awarding points by marking answers as "correct" or "helpful"

0 Kudos