VMware Cloud Community
RayV
Contributor
Contributor

large vmdk-file cannot be mounted

We are having trouble mounting one specific virtual disk that has been copied from the SAN using VCB 2.5. We are using the Vmware disk mount utility installed on another server and connect the vmdk-files we need to restore documents. All disks can be mounted fine, except for one. It is mounted as "Local disk" and when clicking on it, Windows says that the disk is not formatted. The only big difference is, that this disk is 1.12 Terabyte in size (the other disks are much smaller).

Is the disk size the reason why the disk cannot be mounted?

Regards,

Raymond

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What version of Windows are you using? I know that Windows Server 2003 has issues with disks larger than 32 Gb at times. The only paper I could find, I'm attaching. Not sure if this will help you in your situation, but it might.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329971/en-us

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
RayV
Contributor
Contributor

We are using Windows Server 2003 but I have just also tested with Windows Server 2008. On both systems, the data is unreadable. The error message on Windows 2008 is: "The volume does noet contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

Regards,

Raymond

0 Kudos