VMware Cloud Community
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

issue connecting with esx box

I am having a problem determining the status of my esx 3.01 box. I had the server running with 6 VM's on it and all of a sudden I can no longer reach the VM's or the esx box. I have logged into the local console of the esx box and rebooted the esx server to see if that would fix anything, but I still cannot connect to or ping the server. When I log into the console, I can ping the local IP, but I can not ping any other computers on the network. Nothing has changed on the network.

How can I determine what the status of my esx box is? I have did an ifconfig and it returns the correct IP address. I am not sure where to look for logs, also how would I determine if any guest os's are running? I did an esxtop and that did not show any vmm's running.

This is strange, because everything appeared to boot okay. Before the reboot there was an error dealing with sdb, which is the disk that all the vm's are on. I rebooted and looked at the array for sdb and it shows that it is optimial.

Please help because I need to get this issue resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What can you see with:

esxcfg-nics -l

esxcfg-vswitch -l

The logs file /var/log/vmkernel and /var/log/messages - can you see here any warnings / errors ?

E.g.with:

ps -ef | grep .vmx

you can see which vms are running.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What can you see with:

esxcfg-nics -l

esxcfg-vswitch -l

The logs file /var/log/vmkernel and /var/log/messages - can you see here any warnings / errors ?

E.g.with:

ps -ef | grep .vmx

you can see which vms are running.

0 Kudos
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, that helped viewing the nic status, turned out I had accidentally unplug the cable from the switch.

0 Kudos