VMware Cloud Community
jobcon0911
Contributor
Contributor

is anyone running a vm guest operating sytem windows 2008 Server SE on an ESX host 3.5?

We are planning a new Domain - We would like to run virtual windows 2008 Server guest operating systems. In addition, we will have some physical windows 2008 Server domain controllers and Windows 2008 Member Servers for other funcions like

VMWARE - license server, virtual center, converter etc.

Vizioncore Vranger Pro

Symantec Backup Exec 12d

Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 8.0

Is anyone running an environment with VMWARE and Windows 2008 Server

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kernelphr34k
Contributor
Contributor

I've had 2008 ent installed on one of my 3.5 esx hosts for about a month now. No issues yet... It's still in the testing phase, but so far so good.

I've got it using 2 cores, with 3GB of memory. Prolly will bump it up to 4 cores, and 6-8GB of memory for production.

I would also take a peak at the beta 2008 thread. It may provide some details.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/88363

0 Kudos
ajaipathak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As such there is no problem running Windows 2008 on a VM.It will work as fine as Windows 2k3.

The only issue that is encountered is that sometimes the NIC in win2k8 is not detected.For that u have to change some in VMFS folder of this VM.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to ESX 3.5 forum.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

My client virtualized SQL 2005 & Exchange 2007 and SharePoint 2007 on Windows 2008 Enterprise editions on both ESX 3.5 U4 and just upgraded to vSphere 4.0 and they run fine. Make sure you have enough resources to run these high I/O applications/servers load. I would test it in your environment before deploy them in production since each environment has different demands. Your storage and network designs will be your performance point. Domain Controllers and infrastructure server roles are best candidate to virtualize and always make sure to have each role (AD, DNS, DHCP) in a physical server as well for redundancies purpose.

You can integrate vRanger & VCB 1.5 with BE 12.5 version and it works really great. If you have any need to P2V existing 2K3 and 2K8 servers, make sure to follow best practices for P2V process.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos