VMware Cloud Community
chafik79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ipmi_si issue

hi guys,

i'm want to learn esx server but the problem is after i install esx 3.5 i cant get any gui, only a black screen with ip address, and i suspect the reason is " ipmi_si " because it failed to start.

any fix to that.

i used hp xw4600 workstation and lenovo laptop, both with the same issue, even installing esx under vmware workstation 6.5.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well most folks mange their ESX hosts from a separate system that has access to the same network as the SC instance (The IP listed after boot-up completes). They use Virtual infrastructure client or Vcenter or an ssh client for the command line.

While you can admin the ESX host from the cli, most folks do not

The system that you are posting to this forum from has a browser. Does that system have network access to the ESX host?

If yes point your web browser to the IP.

If the ESX host is not attached to a network then get a hub and network it up so that other systems can access it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
chafik79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

any help guys?

at least help me to acces the browser, even with esxi i got only that yellow screen but where to acces the browser?

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can you boot into Service console only mode?

If so try to disable the ipmi service

chkconfig --level 3 ipmi off

Then try booting normaly.

0 Kudos
chafik79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes i can boot to console

i disabled the service for all run levels 123456 but still the same thing.

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Oh sorry just reread your post. I feel a little dim. Is that what you have?

If so your install was successful.

Hit Alt-F1 for the console (A Linux cli) or connect to the host using the VIC client (You should be able to download it by accessing the host from a browser where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP of your host)

0 Kudos
chafik79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes that's correct, i got to that black screen like the picture

i hit Alt-F1, login as root then #[https://192.168.1.4]

i got

-bash: : no such file or directory

i even tried http....

wget http...

thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
ivp2k9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You still need, u know, a browser....instead of entering an URL in the commandline, you need to enter it into a browser -- e.g., links, or whatever.

0 Kudos
chafik79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HOW???

i need a browser and then type in my ip, i knew that befor installing esx, but 64,000$ question is where is this browser?

what would you do?

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well most folks mange their ESX hosts from a separate system that has access to the same network as the SC instance (The IP listed after boot-up completes). They use Virtual infrastructure client or Vcenter or an ssh client for the command line.

While you can admin the ESX host from the cli, most folks do not

The system that you are posting to this forum from has a browser. Does that system have network access to the ESX host?

If yes point your web browser to the IP.

If the ESX host is not attached to a network then get a hub and network it up so that other systems can access it.

0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When your ESX server is booted and ready, then just leave it. You can manageit from another computer via the browser.

Start Internet Explorer or whatever browser you use on your personal computer and connect to the IP address from there, e.g. . Your computer and the ESX server, of course, needs to be on the same network...

chafik79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok guys, i did install vi client in my laptop and i connected it to esx server, so this is the only way to manage an esx server, via a client not from within?

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Anything that can be done from the VIC can be done from the cli, but there is a pretty steep learning curve. You may want to start with the GUI client and gradually come up to speed on the cli stuff.

chafik79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok ok now i got the picture.

big big thanks for you norregaard

and Lightbulb, you are the MAN

0 Kudos