VMware Cloud Community
miatech
Contributor
Contributor

installing ESXi 3.5 in Dell....

Guys, I have a Dell with one PATA hard drive of 40 G and a SATA hard drive of 1 T. I tried to install EXSi 3.5 and it will not detect my 40 G drive. I don't want to install EXSi on the other hard drive, as that one is for storage and applications. I've been told that EXSi supports installation on USB flash drives, so I plugged in my 4 G flash drive to install it there, but it will not detect it either.... the only drive is detecting is the 1T drive. Is there any workaround to this? What can I do without having to buy a new 80 G SATA drive just to install less that 500 M of OS?

THANKS

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check out this website for getting your USB Stick fixed up with ESXi. ESXi USB STICK

The only way not to buy a new drive is getting the USB Stick ready.

Regards

Michael Haverbeck

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
miatech
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that method, but it didn't work. The winimage program didn't transfer the dd image to the usb drive... gives an error

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Double check if ESXi support your PATA drive controller, if not you have to make changes to a file you can read more details here

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos