VMware Cloud Community
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor

importing machine

I am trying to import a phyiscal machine but I get an error saying can't find server. what does vm converter use to import machine the service console or vmotion adpater?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ascari
Expert
Expert

converte use SC, but ... sorry ... you can not import a vm for a conversion.

Set your mouse on esx server, right click and then select converter, no import.

You can use import fiìunction to import an appliance vm.

Bye Alberto

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, it uses the Service Console, it "sounds" like you're trying to do a P2V (Convert a physical server to a Virtual Server)? This will be a conversion and not an import, as ascari pointed out, but you CAN import VM's just not with the functionality of conversion. You can import VMs that reside on isolated ESX Servers, Workstation, from local disk on a laptop/desktop, especially VMs that aren't native to ESX, they'll go through quick update of the .vmdk's to prep it for ESX, so in part it's kind of a conversion but thats really a V2V (Virtual to Virtual) or I2V (Image to Virtua). In your case, you're looking at a conversion from physical to virtual.

0 Kudos
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am trying to do a P2V using converter. is this not possible?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

No, it's very possible. Converter does have that capability and with P2V, you can actually do it live. You'll just choose physical in your option. I know it works best with Windows... doesn't have the best of luck with Linux systems and if you're doing a lot , I would look at Platespin PowerConvert, they have a higher success rate with both Windows/Linux P2V & V2Vs

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert

yes, you can

0 Kudos
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting an error when trying and that error is unable to find server, I get up to selecting the datastore and get that error.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you importing directly onto an ESX Server or Virtual Center (destination)? It shouldn't matter really and should work but try the opposite if you still can't get it to work.

0 Kudos
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor

I am using VMware converter which is installed on our VC server.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

No, the question is WHERE are you importing TO, you specify source and destination. Source is your physical server, and destination will be either a ESX Server or Virtual Center, so which destination are you choosing? Depending on which you provide, the credentials will be different.

0 Kudos
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor

The destination will be ESX Server and I did provide the login credentails if the credentials would be wrong it would have failed on the host part woulded it? It is failing on the datastore part.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you try another datastore, is the one you're choosing sitting on the SAN or local storage?

0 Kudos
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried local storage and also on various location since we have 7 luns for ESX for example esx1, esx2, esx3 etc.

Does it have to be on the same VLAN?

0 Kudos
ronald_higgins
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Are you using the Converter via Virtual Centre or the P2V boot cd?

First thing to check is whether or not you can reach the destination on the required ports, so find out which ports

the converter uses, see this thread ( http://communities.vmware.com/thread/61478 ) .

Then try and telnet to those ports to your ESX from the source, this will tell you if you have a firewall/networking issue.

You dont necessarily need to be on the same VLAN, but you must be allowed to communicate to the Destination VLAN in question from the Source VLAN.

regards

rH