VMware Cloud Community
wilf_williams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iSCSI connection

Hi,

I am trying to configure an iSCSI connection ´for my ESX systems. With difficulty.

I have followed the instructions in the esx SAN config pdf as far as I can see. Despite that the iSCSI storage adapter never discovers the target.

To confirm that the target is available I used the iSCSI initiator from MS, and sure enough I can connect, in discover mode and see target.

Has anyone any ideas of log files, or troubleshooting, I set an TCP dump on the iSCSI host, but receive no packets from my ESX server, suggesting a network issue.

I have one Virtualswitch vSwitch0 with a service console, and VMkernel port both addressed and accessible from the iSCSI host machine. This VMkernel port is enabled for Vmotion, can I do iSCSI and VMotion on the same port ? Last night I tried to create another switch with a new vmkernel, this gave me an error message ( see attached)

any help welcome

Mark

Can not attach file so this is the error message that I get

"Error during the configuration of the host: SysinfoException:Node(VSI_NODE_net_tcpip_plumb_);Status(bad0005)=Already exists;Message=unable to set

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CiscoKid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you confirmed that you have opened firewall settings for ESX host under the Security Profiles in the configuration tab for iSCSI initiator?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CiscoKid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you confirmed that you have opened firewall settings for ESX host under the Security Profiles in the configuration tab for iSCSI initiator?

0 Kudos
hugop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is your ESX server using the VMware software iSCSI initiator or a hardware PCI-X/PCI-E host bus adapter?

0 Kudos
wilf_williams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Damn I feel stooopid; Fixed that problem, but it's not in the doc that I have !

Thanks Cisco Kid

0 Kudos
CiscoKid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No problem, I had the same problem when upgrading to 3.5 from 3.02 where it wasn't an issue if you overlooked the Security Profiles configuration. If you felt that the information was accurate and a resolution to your issue, please award points. Thanks. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos