VMware Cloud Community
infuseweb
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI cards

Hey all,

I'm running 3 ESX 3.5 hosts and a Storevault SAN across a dedicated iSCSI network and QLogic 4050c HBA's. My HBA iSCSI performance has been dismal, even with the latest firmware. Around 4 Mb/s and around 200 ms latency when I should be seeing at least 50 Mb/s and around 10 ms. I thought it was the SAN, but my testing is making it look a lot like the HBA's are the problem.

What are you guys putting in your hosts for iSCSI connectivity and what have you found gives you the best performance? I need to find a better solution ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

Tony

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JRink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I use a Storevault S500 with 12 SATA disks and the software iSCSI in ESX. I can try to run some comparisons for you if you like, just let me know what you'd like me to try.

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

I've never had a problem with the 4050/4052 cards. In fact, I get line-rate iSCSI performance (~110+MB/s).

What kind of testing are you performing that generates the numbers you've reported?

Have you tried removing the HW initiator and instead using the SW initiator for comparison?

There's got to be something wrong in your setup. Once I know what kind of testing you're performing, I might be able to help with the configuration.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos